Profile Picture

Issues importing into unreal

Posted By robmbaker 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
robmbaker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hey guys
Was hoping someone could shed light on a couple problems Im having
My hope was that as long as your characters, *wherever program was used to create them*, was successfully running animations back in 3dxchange then all the variables would be dealt with prior to exporting to and importing into unreal - It doesnt seem to be the case unfortunately
Ive used CC autoset up on a few models and it can work flawlessly and when it does its like a drea come true lol - but not work on on many models depending
(Is there a way to utilize CC auto setup with facial animation?- I dont think so it looks as if its only for direct export from CC to unreal - not from iclone with animations inc facial)
The 2 issues I'm having are: 1 with models that were created or purchased in CC exported to iclone for animation with facial morphs - then sent to edit in 3dxchange including collect clip with motionplus added to 3dxchange - usually works fine in the import to unreal
but now the models (when animations are added to a sequencer track) get very distorted end up looking like an rabid evil octopus - I've tried so many different options for the import and I am obviously missing something important
The other issue - that I also feel like shouldnt be happening::::
this is also on import to unreal but with characters that were build in prob maya or blender or wherever vs CC - again the animations work fine in 3dxchange as exactly as they should -
But when they are in unreal the animation works but starts dramatically moving the position of the actor all around the map - I tried all options for root motion in unreal couldnt figure it out
Just praying for the day when iclone upgrades an "autosetup" that works for all models whether from iclone or CC ***inc animations and facial animations*** that works regardless of where the model originated from (if that is in fact a factor)
Any help on this would really really be appreciated - we all know how disheartening it is when we spend days on 1 issue and still can figure it out

kmitchell.12catblackstudio...
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Videos or pictures would help. 

As far as I've tried thus far, Exporting the character from CC3 to UE4 with LODs making sure you set the correct params on import as shown in the following video grats a proper import of the character actor with LOD and morphs imported. If you lose facial animations one thing to look for in UE4 is to make sure that your character has morph sliders after the import. If not then your facial animaitons will not import as the animation exported use morph sliders for animation expressions. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyfKQyXvTAc

Secondly, when exporting animations from IClone, CC3 or 3DXChange make sure that morphs are exported with the animatons. If they are gone then they will not appear in UE4. For my work flow as of current I make an animation libraries per actor and save them with motion plus via collection into the motions plus custom folder. Because rook motion does not work in iclone my game play animations are in place. 

As for sequencer and animation scenes where i need charters to move around the scene and operate I use set markers to mark the starting place of actors and make the iclone animation for the full scene. The root of the cutscene actors will not move from the starting marker because the root bone does not move. 

Note my experience is from a few months back when i was experimenting with CC3 and Ue4 operations. 

Note the cut-scene at 12:00

robmbaker
robmbaker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)Junior Member (243 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hey Thanks for your reply - I didnt try having the actor follow a path to resolve the issue with it dramatically moving across the world - so that sounds promising -
but as far as the other issue - Ive never had problems exporting with the facial animations or the animations themselves,
I believe its an issue with either the weights or maybe the skeletons from what Ive gathered in my initial searches -
I am not exporting from CC to unreal - Im going from CC the iclone to animate and then to 3dxchange as instructed and having alot of mixed results...
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have not had good experiences with using 3dxchange as an export format. I abandoned it once CC3 came out with its UE4 formatted character structures with the LOD. This got rid of my headaches with 3DXchange. 

Reading This Topic