AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU

Posted By Dragonskunk 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dragonskunk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm searching for a new MOBO, and there some great deals if I go with AMD. 
When I search this topic I get mixed results from no issues to compatibility slow downs.

Considering that system requirements only have Intel minimum requirements it does give concerns. 
Does someone here have this combo or have some insight on the topic?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
Alolu
Alolu
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I have an older PC (about 5 years) with AMD FX 9370 4.40gh and a GTX 1070.  Never had any issues running Reallusion products (iclone 7 and cc3).  You may get a better insight on the subject by the experts but just to give you an idea. Smile
Auroratrek
Auroratrek
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I'm new to iClone, but I just built a PC with an AMD 2950x and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 and it iClone seems to be working well in it. 

On my Youtube Channel: Quest of the Key: Chapter One
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Seems not to be such a big deal after all, unless Peter chimes in and goes NOOOOOOOO! Like he's trying to keep me from triggering a bomb. Tongue

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
iClone is "CPU agnostic" to the best of my knowledge, but it does definitely benefit from Nvidia GPUs.
So an AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU system should be fine.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
If you want to get the absolute best out of iClone and CC I would recommend going with an Intel CPU and an Nvidia GPU (even with the current driver problems). 

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Peter (RL) (10/7/2019)
If you want to get the absolute best out of iClone and CC I would recommend going with an Intel CPU and an Nvidia GPU (even with the current driver problems). 

What happens when you use AMD?
Does only one arm move?
All the plants only grow upside down?
Everything that comes out of CC3 looks like monsters?

Edited
5 Years Ago by Dragonskunk
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Dragonskunk (10/7/2019)
Peter (RL) (10/7/2019)

What happens when you use AMD?
Does only one arm move?
All the plants only grow upside down?
Everything that comes out of CC3 looks like monsters?

We know there are Nvidia-specific features, such a the Global Illumination, and Iray only runs on Nvidia GPUs (or on your CPU, but much more slowly).

What changes between Intel and AMD CPUs?  Please provide an example so we can make a informed purchase decisions.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Over in the Daz Studio forums (which was where I was back in 2017) AMD was recommended as working very well with Nvidia GPUs and as outstanding with IRay.  I built a AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and a GeForce 1800.  The MoBo depends on the processor you select.  A certain chipset works well with my processor.

Nathan

rgreenidge
rgreenidge
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Look I've been using computers before Peter who never wants to give you a direct answer of why. He never shows what he compared what with what. If you read my posts on here, I tell people what I used, comparisons to the old, I upgraded my computers sometimes twice in a year, and what I've gotten with what before and after. I am not a AMD or a Intel guy, I try to see what gives me the best bang for my buck. I go back to when 3 CPU companies were battling over superiority, add Cyrix. Right now unless you have a Server CPU, AMD has the fastest CPU (Ryzen 9- 3900X). I came from i7-6800K CPU with 128GB of RAM. There is more things I can do now and add to my scenes with my 3900X than with any video card. I have a 1080 Ti, with the 3900X, the AMD cards are not as powerful even with the new PCI 4.0 and I never had mixing and matching problems ever. If there is a feature using Nvdia cards with iClone, that didn't work with my AMD cards, I didn't use or need it. I was lucky when the 3900X came out, I got it for $499, now they want $800. It takes 4 months to make one CPU, something I didn't know. I been working on electronic stuff since I was 8, and will be 70 next August. I hate it when people tell you to buy something overpriced and don't show any proof. I do music too, and people will say, I only buy Macs. Can you listen to a song and tell it used a MAC or a PC? No you can't, so cut the bull crap. I will pay the money, if it is really worth it. At one time I could only get so many avatars in my scene, so I asked Peter, what type of computers they are using, he would not answer me. I worked as a electronic engineer, and if a customer asked what test equipment we used, we told them. Sad to say Peter won't answer my questions, so I don't even bother to ask him anymore. The vids you see on YouTube of mine under rioleo8, were all completed  with the intel 6800K, I started using iClone 3 with a AMD 6300, then a 8350 CPU?  Those video you see on the beach scene, have some what I call Popeye Avatars, all they do is stand still in the back, and their eyes may blink, because I couldn't add anything else to the timeline without it jumping or almost freezing during playback. With the AMD 3900X, I was able to add movement to all of them and triple the amount of people in my disco scenes. What I would recommend? A 3900X AMD CPU, at the cheapest price, and the best Nvdia GPU card. I did have a problem because the Motherboards for the Ryzens, only had 4  memory slots, unlike the 8, I was using for the Intel 6800K, so I could only have 64GB of RAM. In the last months I was able to find 32GB of RAM sticks and go back to 128GB of RAM. I have re-did many of my scenes since then, and replaced them on my timeline on my final video. The Ryzen 9-3950X is suppose to come out soon. I'm waiting to see if Reallusion is going to keep up their word that this quarter they will come up with a new way of self making faces. I've been going back to iClone 5 to make most of my faces, because face puppet didn't live up to my expectations. I would like to be wrong, but I'll be surprised if this happens before February. Don't take my word, but I bet in the middle of November, I can see a announcement that iClone 8 is coming in January, with the ability to make great faces. If I'm wrong I'll buy $100-$200 of stuff from the iClone store and show everyone the receipt  Even though I'm finished with my project, I'll still buy iClone 8 when it comes out. I'll make it more clearer. I must have built over 100 computers for friends and family for years, and never had a problem mixing and matching motherboards and graphic cards. The same video slots go on either board. There are no video drivers, specific for AMD or Intel main boards. One driver works for the same in each Windows version, and we do use Windows with iClone. They ask, what version of Windows you use, not what type of motherboard you have, think about that? Good luck with your new setup.      

Home built; ASRock X570 Pro 4, AMD Ryzen 9-5950X CPU, AMD RADEON RX6900XT, 16GB video card, 131GB of RAM.

Reading This Topic