Profile Picture

Face tracking on a budget? - The Kinect V2?

Posted By sonic7 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Don't know whether this video's been 'referenced' before on this forum, (it's a tad 'dated'), but .....
There's 3 different basic aproaches to capturing facial animations shown and it's the *Kinect V2 approach* I'm referring to ....
Seems to me that Reallusion *could* produce a more polished single "software package add-on" (for iClone) that could easily perform V2 facial animation *similar* to this video without the need to leave iClone (plus give 'new life' to the Kinect V2). If priced around the $99 to $149 mark, it could attract a new market of users who would otherwise be put-off by the currently (expensive) facial capture approaches ... 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 25 minutes ago
Unfortunately Microsoft decided to discontinue the Kinect For Windows V2 (aka Kinect For Xbox One) a year or so back so this makes any further development rather fruitless. It's a real shame because there was a lot of potential with Kinect which was never really utilised.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Ah yes, - that had slipped my mind Peter .... definately makes it pointless - what a pity. Oh well, let's see what tomorow brings .....
Thanks ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

ruscular
ruscular
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The kinectv4 or Azure kinect is already out and seems to be supported already by brekel. One azure is more accurate than 2 kinectv2. I would love to see Iclone add that to their arsenal.
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yep - sounds great, but at (currently) over $800 AUD, it's a bit pricy for the hobbyist .....  Sad
I think the introductory price was $399 USD?

I just checked ebay.com and they're listed at $600+ USD at the moment.
But if more accurate than 2xV2's - then yes - and the Azur's a lot more convenient setting up as a single unit.

There'd be some that would go with it - even more folk if the hardware was cheaper ....

I found this rather interesting - makes you wonder why more couldn't be done with the V2. Sure there's some (I guess 'noise') with the V2, but it still seems to contain quite a high degree of detail. Doesn't seem like "quantum leaps" of difference going by this test .....

Edited
5 Years Ago by sonic7
charly Rama
charly Rama
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ok guys, but if the new kinect costs 800$, Iphone X now costs less , it's more interesting to have all iphone X functions AND good facial mocap. Kinect V4 is interesting for me only if there's a possibility to BODY mocap and if it's more acurate than the old kinect

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

And the ultimate would be a single piece of hardware that does both body and facial mocap simultaneously ...
I seem to remember viewing such an item (helmet mounted), and pointing *down* at an angle which covered BOTH the face *close-up* AND the body & feet as a wider part of the frame - everything was included (at least from the 'front'), and with appropriate software, can *determine* the full extent of movement .....

Edited
5 Years Ago by sonic7
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
It would require a development effort from RL to get the motion capture part working. You can't just plug it in.

After the not so great experience with Kinect before (MS just stopped support at some point), I think RL is wise to stay away from that.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

ruscular
ruscular
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)Junior Member (156 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The azure is listed as $400 on Microsoft
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/azure-kinect-dk/8pp5vxmd9nhq?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab
Am i missing something? why are you buying on ebay?
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
ruscular (12/18/2019)
The azure is listed as $400 on Microsoft
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/azure-kinect-dk/8pp5vxmd9nhq?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab
Am i missing something? why are you buying on ebay?

I think they are talking about prices in Australian dollars.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic