Profile Picture

Effect causing a fabric to move with nature - as though by a slight breeze (flag, sales, etc)

Posted By ponddigger 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Effect causing a fabric to move with nature - as though by a slight...

Author
ponddigger
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I'd sure like to figure out a way to utilize an effect in order to get the flag moving a little bit - as well as get those ocean waves to roll just slightly (as if you were out to sea on a calm evening). 
Thanks for any constructive input.. 
Best - 
https://youtu.be/zBY1oJ46UUw

Edited
5 Years Ago by ponddigger
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
So what is your problem?  Are we talking iClone?  Just attach some physics cloth to a pole, turn on the wind a bit, and it will work (easy-peasy).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
CtrlZ
CtrlZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
WOW! @Kellytoons lol Normally you are very helpful! The op (given his junior status) is a new iClone user (Duh) and clearly stated his problem! I am hoping that someone in a more friendly manner comes to his aid as I have not needed this type of animation lol However I would assume he would need to use dummy props for the mast and then attach 4 point physics cloth, then change the wind settings. The sails already exist so ether remove or hide them? Perhaps someone with a little more skill (than I) and more patients (than yourself) like Rampa will come to his aid!
I grew up having to defend my older brother who was mentally challenged (God rest his soul) So I despise BULLY's

Again at times you can be so HELLPFUL! 

Home built liquid cooled AMD Ryzen 7 1800X cpu (8 core 16 thread) 4.0GHz,  rtx 3090, ASUS Crosshair VI Hero motherboard, 64 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) 6 TB HD's 4K monitor.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
@CtrlZ - I don't think Kelleytoons was being a bully.  That's a bit harsh.  But it was a very short answer, and he might have been in a rush and not noticed that the OP only had 12 posts and 54 visits to his name.

@Ponddigger - Soft-cloth physics can be a challenge to get correct.  In short, in the "Props" section of the Content panel, there are various cloths with physics already applied.  It will be best to find the manual and/or look for a YouTube tutorial, and then practice with a single cloth to see if you can get the motion to look decent.  Don't wast time trying to texture it or anything until you get the basic behavior looking decent.

The current sails will probably have to be made invisible or removed somehow.  I don't think you'll be able to convert them into soft cloth.

My time is short right now, so I can't offer any more details than that, but hopefully I provided a couple clues to point you in the right direction, and maybe someone else can help provide some addition newbie tips.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

ponddigger
ponddigger
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)Senior Member (415 reputation)

Thanks... You all have me in a renewed direction with this. The pic below shows how the sails are reacting to the wind-physics. I'm sure its a simple fix, but I can't seem to get the sails and flag to remain connected to the ship. They just blow off in the wind direction and sink into the sea.. Thanks again.. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/80c96881-19a4-4228-b79a-8d57.jpg 
Edited
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
You can create a "weight map" that tells a cloth where not to have physics. So you could add black to the sail corners to keep them in place. The rest will billow. See this tutorial:

ponddigger
ponddigger
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks, Rampa. After a lot of weight map tweaking that should do the trick for the most part. I only wish there was a way to attach weights directly on the prop in order to tie them together (in this case tie a portion of the sail to the pole). Best.. 
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
ponddigger (9/30/2019)
Thanks, Rampa. After a lot of weight map tweaking that should do the trick for the most part. I only wish there was a way to attach weights directly on the prop in order to tie them together (in this case tie a portion of the sail to the pole). Best.. 

That's what it does. Attach the sail to the pole. The black parts will not move with physics (thus holding to the pole), and the white parts will be affected by physics.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Rampa
ponddigger
ponddigger
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

It's utilizing heavily darkened in weights, as suggested. It's not totally what I had in mind (for wind against the sails), but it is pretty close (RE: 3D Vessel: https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/watercraft/historic/hms-bounty ) .. 

If anyone has thoughts on how to get the ocean to slightly roll a bit more (without breaking waves) that would be ideal. Thanks again to all for the inputs... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQoJs4QXucw&feature=youtu.be

Edited

Reading This Topic