CC3 to UE4 with Auto Set Up is crashing UE4

Posted By georodri5 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Miranda (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hello Kevin,

We noticed that "Import Mesh LODs" option is not checked when importing characters.

The mechanism of LOD build-up is handled by Unreal. If you export characters with LOD meshes, you have to manually tick the checkbox of "Import Mesh LODs" in Unreal Engine.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02a4586-133c-4daf-8792-86e7.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c888593b-4fcd-4c6c-b6ec-634c.png

kmitchell.12catblackstudios (10/15/2019)

That didn't help. Here is a video of me trying to use 4.22's plugin inside of UE4 4.22.3

Even in a clean regular project the engine crashes on import. 

kmitchell.12catblackstudio...
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Ah yes it works now! This - make - so - much - sense - now, in the beta you all had the LODs Seperated in seperate files and now its all imbedded inside the mesh! I was trying different things for about 6 hours going crazy! lol the only sucessful import i had was when I only had 1 LOD set in the LOD window so i was wondering if I was setting the LOD settings wrong in CC3. But this makes so much more sense. Yes! Time to continue forward full blast! 
Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)

kmitchell.12catblackstudios (10/16/2019)
Ah yes it works now! This - make - so - much - sense - now, in the beta you all had the LODs Seperated in seperate files and now its all imbedded inside the mesh! I was trying different things for about 6 hours going crazy! lol the only sucessful import i had was when I only had 1 LOD set in the LOD window so i was wondering if I was setting the LOD settings wrong in CC3. But this makes so much more sense. Yes! Time to continue forward full blast! 

Sorry about that!  We are still working on the updated tutorial. 

Besides, we plan to fix the design of auto-setup tool in the coming version, it shouldn't crash Unreal in any cases.
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Miranda (RL) (10/16/2019)

Sorry about that!  We are still working on the updated tutorial. 

Besides, we plan to fix the design of auto-setup tool in the coming version, it shouldn't crash Unreal in any cases.

I know you are close to release but will it also be usable in c++ projects? The beta works in my c++ project but as for the current release, I have to make a seperate blueprint only project and migrate characters over to my main c++ based project. Which works for now at least i can migrate them over. But i was wondering if thats something that will be supported further down the line. 
Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I know you are close to release but will it also be usable in c++ projects? The beta works in my c++ project but as for the current release, I have to make a seperate blueprint only project and migrate characters over to my main c++ based project. Which works for now at least i can migrate them over. But i was wondering if thats something that will be supported further down the line. 

The key issue comes from the action of "building" project, and there seems not much we can do after Unreal Engine updated.

You can have characters in your C++ project, but every time you build the project, you have to remove auto-setup plugin.
The suggested process will be:
  • Delete the folder "Auto_Setup_1.XX" under your Plugins folder
  • Build project
  • Copy the folder "Auto_Setup_1.XX" back
There is no need to remove the "Content\CC_Shaders" folder during this process, so your character settings will keep as the same.

Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Miranda (RL) (10/17/2019)

The key issue comes from the action of "building" project, and there seems not much we can do after Unreal Engine updated.
  • Build project
There is no need to remove the "Content\CC_Shaders" folder during this process, so your character settings will keep as the same.

Looking at your Build.CS there are a few things that I see missing that the epic games marketplace have us add a a requirement for release builds before submitting plugins I believe this is the cause of your issue for this. 

From the forums: 

From 4.20.x onward you can deploy and use a Plugin without any source files in it (no header and no cpp) as long as:
- It has been packaged from the Plugin window (click Package under the plugin)
- There is an Intermediate folder from the packaging, which contains all precompiled objects and other auto generated files
- It still contains the plugin Build.cs file inside (but all Private/Public folders can be removed)
- The build file contains the statement: bUsePrecompiled = true;
- There is Binaries folder with the plugin dll
- There is a Resource folder with the plugin icon
- There is a Content folder if the plugin contains any content

I my self have a plugin as well on the market place and my build.cs has these as part of the build rules in the build.cs: 

using UnrealBuildTool;
using System.IO;

public class RPGEngineToolKit : ModuleRules
{

private string ThirdPartyPath
    {
        get { return Path.GetFullPath(Path.Combine(ModuleDirectory, "../ThirdParty/")); }
    }
   public RPGEngineToolKit(ReadOnlyTargetRules Target) : base(Target)
   {
        bEnforceIWYU = true;
        bEnableExceptions = true;
        PCHUsage = ModuleRules.PCHUsageMode.NoSharedPCHs;

IWYU (Incude what you use) has been required since 4.16 as they want to make sure your plugin is not including global headers and bloat compile time. 
PCHUsage is the thing I think you all would need to avoid that issue with compile. 

When I get back from work I will do a test compile of my plugin with out source to verify the process and let you all know so it might help you going forward. There are a lot of things epic doesn't really share until you run into the issue. So if I see any other oddness with other releases ill see if I can help you all out as a fellow developer. 

As for the c++ project's: 

This morning I did a test to move your Plugin from the local directory of the project\plugins to the plugins\marketplace directory for normal custom plugins: 
C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.22\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\

This allowed me to compile the c++ project without running into the compile issue since the plugin is not in the project directory. The plugin also appears in the plugin section in the editor with no issue. If you want to do this going forward that would be a solution for both project types. But if you want to keep the plugin locally to the project I'll look into it and let you all know as well. 

Thanks again for the note on the import settings.I wish you luck with 4.23!

Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Miranda (RL) (10/17/2019)

• Build project

I have verified when you build your final release plugin. Add the use precompile header flag in the build.cs to lock in your build files. Then you can remove the Intermediate folder, and source files from your release and the plugin will work in c++ and regular projects with out having to remove the plugin from the project. I hope this helps your code department. 

//Add this to the build.CS only after the final build any other changes to your code will not be compiled when this is set true.  
        bUsePrecompiled = true;

Edited
5 Years Ago by kmitchell.12catblackstudios
Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Kevin!!
One of the reason why we don't suggest using engine-level installation in the official release is to keep the flexibility for those who may use different versions of plug-in and shader for different projects.

bUsePrecompiled = true;
This is what we tried before, which may work for engine-level installation, but not for project-level one.  We will discuss and do some experiment internally. Thank you again!
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Miranda (RL) (10/18/2019)
Thanks Kevin!!
One of the reason why we don't suggest using engine-level installation in the official release is to keep the flexibility for those who may use different versions of plug-in and shader for different projects.

bUsePrecompiled = true;
This is what we tried before, which may work for engine-level installation, but not for project-level one.  We will discuss and do some experiment internally. Thank you again!

Understood. That's one reason I did my test fully local to make sure it matches your desired method of deployment. Hope everything helps! Happy Deving! 
fis7157
fis7157
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)

Ue4 crash 4.231 one character 2080ti gpu 16 GB OF RAM

Reading This Topic