Profile Picture

Changing MORPH sliders on props do not cause the Iray Preview window to update

Posted By justaviking 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

Changing MORPH sliders on props do not cause the Iray Preview window...

Author
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Issue #6249:  Morph Animator changes do not update in the Iray Preview window

https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/Morph-Animator-changes-do-not-update-in-the-Iray-Preview-window

Steps to duplicate this issues:
1) Add a prop with "Morphs" to your scene
2) Do an Iray PREVIEW
3) Move the prop, or change its color, etc., and the Preview image will update
4) Open the "Morph Animator" panel... CHANGE A MORPH VALUE... the Iray Preview window will not update

Additionally:
5) After changing a morph, do a change (such as moving a prop) that will cause the Preview window to re-render
6) The morphed mesh will still be unchanged

WORKAROUND:
To see the newly morphed mesh, you need to CLOSE AND RE-OPEN the Iray Preview window.

DESIRED RESULT:
Changing Morph target values should cause the Iray Preview to refresh and update

P.S.
This was first noticed in iClone 7.6, and then duplicated again in 7.61.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

@Dennis - Yes, I can confirm that the "Iray Preview" FAILS TO UPDATE when changing a morph value. The only difference for me is that *IF* I then move the *actual morphed prop itself* (as opposed to any other random prop), then I DO *evoke an update*. Otherwise, as you say, it's necessary to close off the "Iray Preview" and re-launch it again to see the updated shape. So, yes, definitely "Morph Animator changes do not update in the Iray Preview window" .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

@Sonic7,

a) Thank you for the confirmation
b) There was in interesting detail that made our "move the prop" steps different.  My morphed item was a sub-prop, and I was moving the parent.  I hadn't thought about that nuance, so it's great you added your comment here.  I'll add that comment to the Issue.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

My 'prop' used to test your method was the 'Bouncing Ball' - so it was a very simplified test ... I got to thinking "what would be the easist work-a-round until this was fixed, since *moving* the prop might upset a scene". So I followed the "prop move" with an "undo" command which seems to work OK - not that it's a great work-a-round. lol ......

Edit: Just discovered that this 'work-a-round' (>move morphed object >click 'undo'), ONLY works once you exit off the 'Morph Animator' panel. If you don't, then even moving the object won't 'invoke' a refreshed update.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
5 Years Ago by sonic7
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thta's interesting.
Of course, once the Morph sliders trigger an update to the mesh for Iray (thus causing the Preview window to update) then all these other variations should be resolved too.

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hey folks. This is actually true for any applet in Animation tab (Edit Motion Layer, Face key.. etc). Talking about Character to extend the scope of the issue.
But I wonder if it is intentional for one reason or another.
Because if you fire any Animation applet first, Iray Preview and Render buttons are grayed out (thus preventing Iray render).
The only difference I see between "Edit Motion Layer", "Face key".. etc and "Morph Animator", is that the latter, if closed would still not update the Preview, while all others would
(but this should not matter much since it does not update live while applet is still opened for any of those in the first place).

Edited
5 Years Ago by 4u2ges
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Good observation, Gurgen.

I had noticed the grayed-out Iray Preview button when using the "Edit Motion" panel, but didn't connect the dots to the Morph Animator panel.

Yes, I can imagine this being by design for performance rasons.  If so, hopefully Reallusion will confirm it.  But having said that, if you make changes, is seems like the Preview window should update at least when I close it.  Might need to think about that one some more.

eli@goget
eli@goget
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (57 reputation)New Member (57 reputation)New Member (57 reputation)New Member (57 reputation)New Member (57 reputation)New Member (57 reputation)New Member (57 reputation)New Member (57 reputation)New Member (57 reputation)

hello folks!...i am running iclone 7.61 and its not showing my project in the viewport but it does show through iray renderer...it seems its not using the GPU...my pc has an NVIDIA RTX 2080 (8 GB), INTEL CORE I7-9700KF CPU with 64gb of RAM...Please kindly assist with this problem.thank you
Attachments
Capture.PNG (87 views, 333.00 KB)

Reading This Topic