Profile Picture

Exporting from CC for use in Unity for iPhone X face puppeteering ARKit app

Posted By yosofun 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Exporting from CC for use in Unity for iPhone X face puppeteering...

Author
yosofun
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I'm trying to export to a CC model to Unity for use on an iPhone X face tracking ARKit app. 

Key things I need would be the blend shape morphs for the face puppeteering. Also LOD and poly reduction, as it's for use in Unity - as a mobile game.

How do I make sure the right blendshapes are in and/or preserve the blend shapes from a Daz exported model into CC for this use? 

My initial and ideal flow is to have the model be from Daz, but have been told that the LOD poly reduction does not work with morphs? 
Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
The facial morphs/blendshapes are all exported to Unity automatically. There is nothing for you to do. Polygon reduction is also automatic for the figure/body (manual process for clothes/hair/accessories). Daz to CC3 Base via Transformer puts your naked model at ~27K triangles with Game Eyes & teeth. Conversion from CC3 Base to Game Base gets you down to ~10K. LOD allows you to go much lower, but there is a problem...

General for Unreal Engine & Unity
  • Added: Mouth open is now a FBX export option.  Jaw, lower teeth and tongue bone animations can now bake into morph targets. 
    • Limitation: InstaLOD Merge Material function is incompatible and not permitted with FBX export option Mouth Open as Morph enabled.

This means that the teeth will not be linked to the Mouth Open blendshapes, so you will see a mouth full of teeth any time the character opens the mouth to speak. I don't know anything about animation yet, so I don't know how to link the teeth mesh Transform to blendshape sliders. If someone can provide direction on this it would be helpful...

CC3 & Daz Tricks | CC3 to Unity workflow

Edited
5 Years Ago by Scyra
yosofun
yosofun
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)Senior Member (251 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Do you know if anything special needs to be done for a Daz model to be exported to Unity with the face blend shapes? The way that I tried it with LOD exports, the blend shapes did not show up in Unity..   

Where does one find the mouth open option? 
Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

BlendShapes are located in the Skinned Mesh Renderer Component of the CC_Base_Body (pictured below). I ran some tests. Using the LOD function deletes the BlendShapes, period. Both Merged Material (Single-UV) & Multi-Material Game Bases work fine, however. That means ~7000 vertices (Game Eyes & Teeth) for a bald, naked model is the best you can get for a talking character. If you want to go lower you can get creative by doing cut-in dialogues with talking heads (~2000 vertices), or using low-poly clothes to hide the body and export with Delete Hidden Mesh.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/aeeecdaa-251e-4a49-ad4b-3893.jpg
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e985efba-71e5-4769-a0ab-0f9a.jpg
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/70493ced-9ad1-42cd-968e-e827.jpg

Edited
5 Years Ago by Scyra
Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Small update: This was posted in another thread...

The "Keep Original Avatar" option under InstaLOD gives you the blendshapes except for the one "Mouth Open as Morph" which you are wanting.

There is a way to get by with just Game Base without the need for LOD's. The Game Base head is 2000 vertices, the rest of the body adds another 5000. I've experienced more than a few wildly successful clothing Polygon Reductions in the >95% range. With the "Delete Hidden Mesh" export option combined with low-poly clothing covering most of the body, I think a (hairless) Game Base character near 5K verts is possible (realistically more like 7K), plus you'd cut the overhead from the LOD distance checks.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Scyra

Reading This Topic