Profile Picture

3dxchange and sketchup - how do I standardize polycount, scale for multiple meshes?

Posted By particleboy 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

3dxchange and sketchup - how do I standardize polycount, scale for...

Author
particleboy
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Only had iclone for a couple of weeks, loving it, this community is great, all good.

First I create a large landscape in EarthSculptor by starting with a default 513^2 map. When I export the map I scale it by a factor of 50. I am still learning the export parameters for EarthSculptor.

I import the prop into iclone4 and it is very large and extends way beyond the default groundplane mesh. It is also very high in the sky. I do a -Z transform to move it closer to the default groundplane mesh. This is OK for my needs so far.

Then I download many meshes from 3d warehouse. Then I import them into 3dxchange and export them as .vns format. I am using the default settings for the 3dxchange export to .vns

Then I import the first prop into iclone4. I position it on my EarthSculptor terrain.

I create a new camera and move to the front of the first mesh/prop.

Then I repeat the process for another 3d warehouse mesh.

The second prop imports as a huge thing. It takes up so much memory that it crashes iclone4. Or it is so far away from my first mesh and front camera1 view I have to go looking for it. I spend many hours looking for import mesh number two Smile

So I wonder about this and do some searches on Google. Now I want to polyreduce and scale my 3d warehouse meshes to a standard size and origin in 3dxchange before I export to .vns format.

Should I try this in 3dxchange? Or am I better to do this in SketchUp first?

How do I do this please? Thank you

wires
wires
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Hi particleboy,

Importing models from Sketchup into iClone can present many problems, poly count being one of the most difficult.

One way to reduce the poly/face count is to take the model into 3dxchange, select Tools/Exclude SKP Back Faces. This will reduce the number of faces by half.

Doing this can however present you with a whole new set of problems. If the model was produced by a user who didn't take care which face was front and back - meaning it was produced only for use in Sketchup, then you will find a lot of missing parts when you use this option.

One way around this is to find the "invisible" faces and make them 2 Sided in 3dxchange. This will keep the face count down, while still retaining some detail in the model.

As far as scale is concerned, the "dummy" in 3dxchange, or the grid, will give you an idea of how large/small your imported model will be.

If you can't find an imported model in the iClone stage then just select the "Home" button at the top, this will take you directly to the selected object.

Hope this helps some.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

particleboy
particleboy
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Sorry I took so long to get back to you wires. Thanks for your advice. I'm now mucking around with various softwares to try and do poly reduce without loosing too many faces.

And thanks for the tip about the home button.

Cheers Smile

Reading This Topic