Profile Picture

[CC3 to Unity] Scyra's Exotic Tricks and Traps

Posted By Scyra 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
drew_927096
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
awesome, glad you got it working with MP.
I will try this myself tonight.
BTW, why do not combine all the materials when you convert to GameBase?
It would make creating masks easier and also optimizes draw calls, no?

thanks again

Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
There are a couple problems with using combined material, but it is ultimately very desirable. I will be using it for all NPC's.
  • Currently there is a problem with Game Base eyelashes when using the combined material, but that is due to be fixed in the next patchFixed in version 3.1.
  • I may want tessellation on just the body or just the head, and I may want to fine-tune the effect for each part. Too much tessellation on the head causes it to clip through the hair. The upcoming patch looks like it will give me the ability to combine the all the body materials but keep the head separate.
  • With separated mesh/materials you can turn off the Skinned Mesh Renderer component to hide the entire torso/legs under clothing, keeping the arms/head visible. This is good for performance. It is useful if you don't want to Delete Hidden Mesh.

CC3 & Daz Tricks | CC3 to Unity workflow

Edited
5 Years Ago by Scyra
drew_927096
drew_927096
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)Senior Member (328 reputation)

Scyra (8/16/2019)
There are a couple problems with using combined material, but it is ultimately very desirable. I will be using it for all NPC's.
  • Currently there is a problem with Game Base eyelashes when using the combined material, but that is due to be fixed in the next patch.
  • I may want tessellation on just the body or just the head, and I may want to fine-tune the effect for each part. Too much tessellation on the head causes it to clip through the hair. The upcoming patch looks like it will give me the ability to combine the all the body materials but keep the head separate.
  • With separated mesh/materials you can turn off the Skinned Mesh Renderer component to hide the entire torso/legs under clothing, keeping the arms/head visible. This is good for performance. It is useful if you don't want to Delete Hidden Mesh.

thanks for sharing.
How do you turn off a body part? When I import my character into Unity, using "multiple materials" when I convert to Game Base, I still only get a single SkinnedMeshRenderer on the Body section, the difference being I have 6 materials instead of 1. What am I missing here? Seems like instead of masking clothing, if the clothing is full body, we could turn off the rendering of that body part if it was fully covered, but I'm not able to figure out how you do that.

Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

I was mistaken about being able to turn off the Skinned Mesh Renderer for individual parts. I must have been using the Hide Mesh shader to do it and I remembered it wrong. Note that the Hide Mesh shader still results in a draw call each time it is used, even though nothing is rendered.

Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Here is another tip for Unity: If you want to get reflections, increasing Metallic Smoothness in your material settings may work, but you will probably also have to change the Source from Metallic Alpha to Albedo Alpha.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bbfee165-87d7-4a76-83f2-86f0.jpg

drew_927096
drew_927096
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Scyra (8/19/2019)
I was mistaken about being able to turn off the Skinned Mesh Renderer for individual parts. I must have been using the Hide Mesh shader to do it and I remembered it wrong. Note that the Hide Mesh shader still results in a draw call each time it is used, even though nothing is rendered.

Thanks. I was also able to achieve the same thing by setting the Shader to Cutout and making the Alpha value to be 0.
Not sure if this is more performent than the Hide Mesh shader you use.
drew_927096
drew_927096
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

hi,

I tried buying that hair shader you recommended, however, when I set my C3 character hair to use that shader, it gets very glitchy (she becomes bald).
I tried playing with the "baseton_alpha" and "NormalMap" like in the example scenes, but my head sitll looks mostly bald.
When I change the "AlphaValue" from 2 to 0, most of the hair appears, but still, the hair looks bad, and she has an ugly bald spot in the back of her head.
What steps should I take once I assign the Shader to the hair? Which of the Hair shaders in HumanShaderPack should I use? I'm targetting Mobile BTW.

thanks again for all your help!!

Drew
Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks. I was also able to achieve the same thing by setting the Shader to Cutout and making the Alpha value to be 0.
Not sure if this is more performent than the Hide Mesh shader you use.

I have read that Cutout shaders are expensive, and overlapping transparencies are performance-expensive. I think the Hide Mesh shader would be far better for performance.

The fourth post in this thread has a picture that shows the shader and settings, be sure to check that out. It is the VRTC shader. Here are some notes from an email I sent the author which has some helpful info about this shader...

"It is confusing that ~5 out of the first 6 sliders seem to do nothing (Light_Bias, etc.—these begin to work when they are all set to high values like in the attached image). UseVRTC_BiasAndScale? toggle is always desirable (in my opinion), and users should especially be encouraged to tweak the alpha channels for the Gloss/Color-Powers as these have a huge effect. ExtraCutting and NoisePower I am still not even sure about, but I will experiment."

NoisePower is currently not working. ExtraCutting takes a black & white image just like the mask example I posted earlier. Render queue set to Geometry allows the hair to cast/receive shadows. This can cause some transparency "Z-fighting" so you need to, if you use this setting on multiple layers, increment the Render Queue numbering on each layer like 3001, 3002, etc. It is ok to use it on only the top layer, assuming your hair has multiple materials like mine does.

You mention a bald spot—I recall having some trouble with the bottom "Skullcap" layer of this hair, which you see in the initial images as a bald spot. It took me a while to figure that one out. I think it was the tiling offsets that eventually helped. Here is a screenshot of settings for that layer...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/53b4dabd-1798-42d5-87c3-5dde.jpg

One more thing—the Daz hair I used in the example has multiple materials (and 8 submeshes!); I was not able to fix the bald spot when I merged those materials. That bottom "skullcap" had to remain separate. Attempting to merge the submeshes was also a failure. Do keep us updated on your results.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Scyra
drew_927096
drew_927096
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

hi Scrya, how's it going?

Wondering if you've had a chance to upgrade yet to the latest plugin/ Unity 2019.1, and made changes to your workflow?

One of the immediate things I noticed was that the skin and clothing is much less glossy. It looks like they removed the Metallic maps from the skin and clothing.

I actually think some of the clothing looks better with the metallic maps. I'm wondering if you discovered the same thing? Any changes to your workflow now?

Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I'm making good progress on my project. I have built almost an entire city district in Unity during this time (has it been a month?) . Soon I will need to populate it with NPC's, so lots of CC3 work is coming in the near future (ETA ~2 weeks?). Screenshots show about half of what I've made so far...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c20b315b-d57c-453e-8d54-a251.jpg
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c67af5c7-e36f-40d2-8573-6a43.jpghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b34bf267-ace5-4f7a-a78a-398f.jpg

It is good progress considering I have never done any level design before and the aging brain wants to throw a tremendous tantrum when suddenly ordered to learn in months what should have been learned gradually over years.

It is probably a good thing that they've removed the metallic maps as in most cases it was nothing more than a 64x64 black square and I had 30 of them for a single character, which Unity treats as 30 separate textures—better for performance to manually drag & drop a single one of those to whatever material needs it.

I did update the second post in this thread with a small bit of 3.1 info about BlendShapes, and plan to do more later.

Reading This Topic