Profile Picture

Setting up Affinity Photo to work with CA/CTA: a tip from the trenches :)

Posted By candlelight2007 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.

Setting up Affinity Photo to work with CA/CTA: a tip from the trenches...

Author
johnb78
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)Junior Member (112 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Having just re-read this thread I noticed you said :    johnb78: I may be missing something but why do you need to go to Photoshop instead of opening a PSD template right in Affinity and working there entirely? Affinity does a decent job with PSD files so all PSD templates work great in it for those of us who do not have/use Photoshop. It works for me anyway

Today i used the PSD template in Affinity , brought it into CA4  and my characters neck was missing ,   went back to Affinity make sure no mistakes made ,  then re-imported it again ,
now the face and the mouth is missing ,    So i dont think its possible to use the PSD template in Affinity and i am not surprised , i would guess the template is set to corrupt itself and not work correctly if it is not used in Photoshop ,   Adobe not making this template for the benefit of Affinity users and again i dont blame them ...

So i learned something important ,  if the template is not working correctly in Photoshop , just uninstall and then re-install Photoshop...       
excuse the audio on below clip...
https://vimeo.com/348054711
Edited
5 Years Ago by johnb78
candlelight2007
candlelight2007
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Well I can only speak based on my own experience. And I cannot compare Affinity with PS because I don't have the latter. All I know is that Affinity is working for me the way I expect it to: meaning it opens the character in PSD format with all the folders intact and then reimports back into CA without a problem. If you would like to send me your CA project with this one character that is not working for you in Affinity but is working in PS I will be willing to take a look.
desupero
desupero
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (317 reputation)Senior Member (317 reputation)Senior Member (317 reputation)Senior Member (317 reputation)Senior Member (317 reputation)Senior Member (317 reputation)Senior Member (317 reputation)Senior Member (317 reputation)Senior Member (317 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I'm not sure whether it's a recent update or something else but I followed the PSD template video using Affinity Designer and ended up with lots of body parts missing. There seems no sense a to why. I made sure all layers were checked as visible, looked to see if any were further in the hierarchy than others, but no joy! It looks like it's only taken the very top layer in each group and left the others out. I really hope that they put together an A.D character PSD template video (or simply design one for A.D.), as A.D. is now been used by so many people instead of Photoshop. Any ideas as to why my body parts may be missing when I open it in C.A. please?
vepop
vepop
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
No problem on my part.
Just need to tick a certain folder and lock it.
The content inside the folder needed to be checked.
For Mask, untick the folder while the content is ticked and checked as well.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9331d0a4-6a4b-4e86-9f88-963f.jpg
YouTube Tutorials Here
willemsince1977
willemsince1977
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago

Thank youso much for this. I have been working in Affinity Designer for the past 2 years,but could never figure this out until coming across this post.... It does feellike magic now :-) !!!

denise.wilson1
denise.wilson1
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago

I am responding to your comment, “that it should be clear and easy to find breakdown of some of the key features readily available rather than a bunch of isolated morsels of wisdom scattered all over the place. I often feel like I am trying to read between the lines browsing through manuals and tutorials over and over again, which more often than not are scratching the surface or giving you bits and pieces leaving you pretty much on your own to figure it all out.”  I so agree with this and although many tutorials are titled ‘beginner’ or ‘basics’ – they don’t deliver.  I have been struggling with this software (CTA) for over 3 years and still don’t feel I have a handle on how to create characters. I would like to think that CTA4 pipeline would be my salvation – but my more practical and rationale side knows this is just self-delusion.  These are some of my unanswered basic questions:

·      If you don’t have photoshop (for all the tutorials refer to photoshop) can you really do anything in CTA?  (I can’t afford photoshop, can barely afford CTA) I now realize from this post I can use AD - thank you for that.

·      Can you only get the templates if you have the Pipeline edition?  If so, why even offer a Pro edition, let alone a standard.

·      And then, when you go to the manual, they talk about Flash!  What is Flash?  It seems it is critical to the process.  So, should you import into CTA in .swg, .psd or .png? Someone needs to explain when you do which – I’ve seen tutorials where they tell you to export in .png to CTA – or do you export into CTA with .psd.  So confusing!  And what about Flash??

·      And how do you make sprites for your characters?  All the tutorials have them ready-made – but they are not the parts I would need for my characters.  Where can you get(buy) sprites?

·      And the templates – if you can get them – do you have to go to your outside editor to use? – or can you use them in CTA to make a character?  What’s the difference between these psd templates and the templates they have under G3 characters in CTA, or the G2 ‘Simon’ Template?  Also, what’s the difference between the ‘motion bone’ templates and the ‘dummy’ – what’s the dummy used for?

Believe me, the questions I’ve listed here are only the tip of the iceberg - reflecting only my most recent struggles.  And I’m sure some of these questions are naïve or, in fact, stupid.  But I don’t have an animation background and I had hoped I would be able to learn how to do it with CTA.  Well, 3 years later and I still can’t create my own character and animate it without the head falling off. However, I can attach props on G3 characters, but not on G2 – does G2 use a different process? You see my dilemma – I would need tutorials that explained what would appear obvious to more experienced animators.  CTA for Dummies.

vepop
vepop
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Agreed. The manual is somehow confusing.
Flash is used for the creation of the G2 characters.
You can use AD to create the G3 + 360 Head Degree turn.
When you are keen to create your own characters, I bet the best choice is the Pipeline version.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9331d0a4-6a4b-4e86-9f88-963f.jpg
YouTube Tutorials Here

Reading This Topic