Posted By openning 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

I have a complete newbie question about importing hair and clothing

Author
openning
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I am just starting to play around with this program, I've not really used anything like this before, but I downloaded the trial the other day and was just having fun making a character.  I got someone made, but I want to add different clothing and hair that isn't in the program.  I have found hair in other programs (Daz in particular), but I can't figure out how to get it into iclone.  I have found numerous tutorials on youtube about importing full characters, but nothing about importing just clothing or hair.  Is this possible?  Is there another program that I need?

Thanks!
martok2112
martok2112
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Hi, Openning,  I hope my screenshots will help...if they can be read...

When you want to import elements of Daz into Character Creator, first, select the item of clothing you wish to export.  You don't even have to select a character, just the article of clothing (and it is best to do this one piece at a time... shirt/top, pants/bottom, dress/full body outfit, shoes, accessories, etc).   Once the article of clothing is in the display, go up to Files and click on Export.   When the file location screen pops up, you will find that you can select on the File Type drop down menu... OBJ, FBX, BVH, and a few others.   Select Wavefront Obj as the file type, name you article of clothing, and click Save.

A new menu will pop up in the center display.   This gives you a list of checkboxes when exporting your .obj article of clothing.   This is what I recommend:

Note: It is important that you have the following checked....Write Surfaces, Write Material Library, Original Maps.   Very important so that the articles textures come over with it...otherwise, you just get a blank, white obj in the shape of the article of clothing.   Also, make sure that your size output is 100 percent.

When these settings are checked, then click Accept. 

Go into Character Creator 3:
Select the menus as shown:

When your article imports, it should appear fairly close to where you want to place it on the avatar.  Its size may be off, and it may be slightly out of place. Also, the pivot/transform/scaling gizmo will likely appear at the bottom of the character.   So, you'll need to adjust the gizmo.  Go to the right side of the UI, make sure you are on the Attribute tab, and scroll down until you find the Pivot diagram.   Leave it set to Middle, and select either the top center, center, or bottom center square in the 9 square diagram.  (This will come in handy in scaling issues, depending on how you want to adjust the item to approximately fit the avatar.)

Once you're generally satisfied with placement and scaling, scroll back up to the top of the Attributes page, and select: Transfer Skin Weights.

A new menu of fitting options will appear.  Since the vest is basically a shirt, just select the Default option (which covers shirts/tops and pants/bottoms)...and click Apply.

Once applied, Click on Conform.

In the Conform menu, click on Calculate Collision.

It may take several seconds, perhaps even a little more than a minute for the Collision to be Calcuated.  (It took about a minute and a half, because I think I conformed a male vest to a female avatar...LOL!)   When the Calculation is complete, the article should be fitted to your avatar

....but....

Check your avatar's fit all over.   You may find that there are some areas which may have under clothes, or skin breaking through the newly fitted article of clothing.

You can choose to click on Calculate Collision again..... this result took me about two runs through Calc. Collision.  As you can see, there is still some breakage.

Next step is to Click on Edit Mesh back in the Attribute Menu

In the four tabs in the Edit Mesh Menu, select Sculpt, and you will see four little images  Push, Pull, Smooth, and Show Mesh Brush.  You want "Pull" selected.

When going over your article of clothing, make sure the Select arrow is highlighted up in the upper row of translation icons.  This will allow you to use the sculpting brush (red circle).   Make sure the Radius of the circle is sufficient enough to cover the breakage.   The other settings can pretty much be left alone...
Then, apply your corrective strokes over the breakages.  This should start pulling that area of the article mesh over the skin of the avatar.   Don't get too carried away, or else you can create unwanted lumps in your correction on the clothing:   You can apply the brush by either clicking the red circle over the breakages, or holding the LMB down and stroking over the affected areas.  When satisfied, just click on the Conform button to go back out into the Attribute menu.

To be quite honest, Openning, I find the Daz articles of clothing to be a little problematic....a lot of times, the breakages just don't seem to mend properly.
I find I am much better at just making my own clothes in Blender.   (I think I may have even posted a tutorial on it somewhere around here.)

Now, when wanting to save this article of clothing, you have to save them in the Content folder on the left.  Content>Custom>Cloth>Shirts.
Other clothing to be stored where appropriate... Pants, Skirts, Coats, etc.

From this point, you can also Export your article of clothing to iClone.   Just go under File>Export>Selected Content.   This should take you straight to the iClone 7 Custom Folder.   You want to select CC Cloth.  Name your article of clothing, and save.  Voilla....your new article of clothing will be waiting in the Custom CC Cloth menu in iClone 7, ready to be applied to characters that can use the CC Cloth.

I hope this helps you out.   Took me a couple of hours to put this tut together for ya. Smile
All the best, and Q'apla!
Martok2112 (Martok the Unbidden on YouTube)

"Incompetence will always prevail so long as evil men stand by and do nothing."
-Martok2112

Edited
5 Years Ago by martok2112
openning
openning
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Oh my god!  You are amazing! I am so grateful, I don't even know what to say.  Thanks so much for taking the time to do that!

martok2112
martok2112
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
You are more than welcome.  I love to help and teach when I can.....and believe it or not, that usually ends up happening after I've had a fit of frustration (and uttering a few unfortunately and foolishly choice words here in the forums...Hulk smash!) trying to figure out how things work.  I figure, if other people are having that frustration, and I've gotten over that hurdle...get that info out there.  Smile

To be fair, I learned how to do the export from Daz, import into CC3 from another YouTube content creator, WarLord720.  That got me pointed in the right direction. Smile

"Incompetence will always prevail so long as evil men stand by and do nothing."
-Martok2112

Edited
5 Years Ago by martok2112

Reading This Topic