Profile Picture

iClone is missing contests and fun learning projects.

Posted By Dragonskunk 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Dragonskunk (6/6/2019)
I don't do the 11 second club since I been using iClone, silly but I feel like I'm cheating using iClone for that contest. 

I tried once years ago, and I ended almost last. I like to think it was because my clip didn't have the required Maya cartoonish look...Crying

The sins of our past...Tongue

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
animagic (6/6/2019)
Dragonskunk (6/6/2019)
I don't do the 11 second club since I been using iClone, silly but I feel like I'm cheating using iClone for that contest. 

I tried once years ago, and I ended almost last. I like to think it was because my clip didn't have the required Maya cartoonish look...Crying

The sins of our past...Tongue

Maya cartoonish look?
You're kidding right?
I hope you're kidding.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
kungphu
kungphu
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ha! Awesome vid. Yeah, you don’t see many machinima vids posted there for sure. Now if we posted iclone facial mocap vids there we’d probs get roasted. It’s a bunch of pros and students entering. Mocapping would kinda be cheating but I guess if you key framed a bunch of expressions it may slide? I find it super cool to see the direction that some of the participants take the dialogue. Usually see great use of squash and stretch in those vids as well. I watch them as a learning process. Would be fun to do an iclone only version in a safe “non-judgey” forum like this one.

My "NEWEST" LatestSmile  Movie Made With Amaaaazing iClone

—> High Noon”ish” in Narrow Valley<—

kungphu
kungphu
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Ha! Awesome vid. Yeah, you don’t see many machinima vids posted there for sure. Now if we posted iclone facial mocap vids there we’d probs get roasted. It’s a bunch of pros and students entering. Mocapping would kinda be cheating but I guess if you key framed a bunch of expressions it may slide? I find it super cool to see the direction that some of the participants take the dialogue. Usually see great use of squash and stretch in those vids as well. I watch them as a learning process. Would be fun to do an iclone only version in a safe “non-judgey” forum like this one.

Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Mocap doesn't work with "good" animation. Animation is about exaggeration of what real life motion is so you would still have to know what to exaggerate. It's kinda like saying I'll trace a photograph and have the best looking cartoon image. And mocap doesn't equal an advantage either, you could be a really bad mime as well.  

kungphu
kungphu
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Basically mocap a performance as a starting point. Similar to a professional animator making several reference videos. From there go to the curve editor. The end production wouldn’t be a simple mocap. The mocap would only emphasize the basic arcs. Different approach than pose to pose with tweens.could work in a pinch.

I think a more apt comparison would be, let me trace this picture lightly. I’ll use it as a base and draw over it for a caricature. Different ways to skin a cat. I’ve Defoe rly done that in the past with charcoals. But... probably not an orthodox way of working.

My comment about mocap cheating is that if you entered that contest and just mocap a bunch of motion... that kind of spoils the “animation” part of the contest since there would be none. Just pressing record. Not sure if that makes sense? I’m more and more interested just based on the different positions of our convo here how this would work out with a small iclone contest. I bet we’d have a diverse looking set of entries. Could spark some good convo, kinda like this has. Always interested to hear how people work and their thoughts. Smile

animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Dragonskunk (6/7/2019)
Mocap doesn't work with "good" animation. Animation is about exaggeration of what real life motion is so you would still have to know what to exaggerate. It's kinda like saying I'll trace a photograph and have the best looking cartoon image. And mocap doesn't equal an advantage either, you could be a really bad mime as well.  

What is considered "good" animation is up for debate. Some feel that you absolutely need to follow the 12 principles, but I disagree. I have seen many interesting forms of animation that go beyond that, fortunately.

If you view games a form of animation (and why not), other considerations (including realism) play a role.

Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

animagic (6/7/2019)
Dragonskunk (6/7/2019)

What is considered "good" animation is up for debate. Some feel that you absolutely need to follow the 12 principles, but I disagree. I have seen many interesting forms of animation that go beyond that, fortunately.

If you view games a form of animation (and why not), other considerations (including realism) play a role.

Well their idea of good animation is what the big studios want. They are a school and they want to teach students the method that impresses the big studios. So they teach the most impressive techniques and their contest reflect that. But it's not prejudice against a visual style or platform. If you make animation that is worthy of something that will end up on the big screen is the "good" animation.   

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
There are many purists that consider any Character 
animation that was not painstakingly curated by hand as 
not legitimate. 
I have noticed (over the years ) that they all have one thing 
in common.
They  nearly All create "Cute Stuff" ,inspired by Pixar, 
with cartoonish styled characters with over exaggerated 
movements etc etc etc.
Nothing wrong with  the "cute stuff"
I just do not care to make it and rarely watch it.
and when, I do, it is Sci-fi/ space based
 ( WAll-E, Escape from planet earth etc.)
I want to tell sci fi/space based stories with a certain visual 
effects asthetic that appeals to people from the comic book 
& video game demographics
 (admittedly mostly male viewers from early twenties to 
middle age)
This notion that  exclusive focus on  the 12 principles& 
cute stuff, if one hopes to "make it in the industry", is not 
supported by the Video game revenues and Box office of 
the decidely NON cute Marvel Comic based Movies
I have seen the "cute stuff" creators "Boast" about 
completing a few seconds of "quality" animation per week 
as some masochistic Badge of honor ,yet will very nearly 
fall into a crippling anxiety attack if separated from the 
instant gratification of their modern smartphones for more 
than 15 minutes.
Iclone gives us an incredible set of  story telling&motion 
building tools that do not require us to prove to anyone 
that we are willing to endure the vicissitudes of tedious 
frame by frame, hand curation of our animations.
The 12 principles are important however, IMHO  the many 
principles of cinematography, story pacing and camera 
cuts/shot framing are even more important than the
 "cute stuff"..at least for me.

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Autodidact, that was a good summary of my own position on this.

Reading This Topic