Profile Picture

How do I stop props from animating (until an action happens)?

Posted By Data Juggler 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

How do I stop props from animating (until an action happens)?

Author
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 hours ago
I have had this issue in multiple projects, but today I finally am convinced there has to be some other way to do this.

I have a scene where the teacher starts talking about today's lesson which includes a technology called Windows Forms (desktop applications).

One of the students (the only one) blurts out 'Win Forms is for old people", and then the teacher (my alter ego) hits a delete key on his keyboard and this giant sphere comes down and crushes him (to throw everyone off watching an open source tutorial video for the - I wasn't expecting that effect).

The problem is, even if I copy a key frame from each prop and place it to before the rock lands, IClone starts filling in the positions and moving the character and chairs before the boulder even hits. 

In a perfect world, I would like an event trigger where characters and props do not react to being hit until the other prop arrives. I would settle for a way to just tell IClone to not animate a prop until I unlock it or something.

I may have to edit this in a video editor unless someone here knows a way to keep props from reacting to future events before the future event has occurred. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8c4d7cb5-a76d-4d85-bcbe-4aa2.jpg

Thanks

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

Edited
5 Years Ago by Data Juggler
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I don't know if you have done that, but you would need to place a key frame of the prop in stationary position just before the point where you want it to start moving.

For example, if the initial position of the prop is at [0, 0, 500] (x-y-z values) and the movement needs to start at frame 400, you would need a key frame with value [0, 0, 500] at frame 400.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

I was creating a keyframe at Frame 1 which is the start / resting position of a prop, and I would copy it to a little before the keyframe I start to move the boulder, and it starts filling things in.

I will try a prop with some values entered, maybe it wasn't taking my 'stay still' prop because it didn't have any movement.

This has been the story of computers since the day I first turned one on; they do what you tell it not what you want.

Will try again now that my weekend is here.

PixelDatabase.Net

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I just tried, and the things that do not seem to copy are the things I do in the Edit Motion Layer settings.

I took the character and made him bend over when the Rock hit him, but the character stays bent over 200 frames too soon.

PixelDatabase.Net

Reading This Topic