Unable to attach to a certain avatar

Posted By Kelleytoons 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 35 minutes ago
While I'd rather not share this avatar (but will if I must) I am having a weird problem and I thought one of the experts could comment on it.

I brought in a 3DMax FBX file into 3DX and while it's not perfect I was able to get it rigged so it will work as a non-standard character.  In iClone it will accept regular motion files just fine and otherwise behaves like any other non-standard character I've used (or even a standard avatar, except I obviously can't send it to CC3).  However, I can't attach or link anything to it.

Doesn't matter what it is -- even a simple sphere -- and in the same exact scene (brand new) I can attach to any other avatar, regular or non-standard.  But this one just seems... invisible to the pick parent button (which is to say I press the button and get the pointer but can't click anywhere on that avatar -- it acts as if it isn't in the scene at all).

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?  Is there something I'm doing wrong?  I can't even imagine how this could NOT work -- I understand attach and link only work for avatars but iClone sees this as an avatar for the purpose of using motion files, so it's hard for me to believe it's somehow not any other way (and no weird names or anything).  

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 51 minutes ago
Everyone seems baffled...Unsure

I don't believe I have ever encountered this, so I can't be of much help.

The only thing I could think of would that there is something wrong with the pivot. If you select the character is it properly enclosed by a yellow box?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Yeah, I thought about that as well -- and the bounding box seems fine.

I wish there was a python way to try and attach because I could see if I could get around it that way.  I may send this to RL support just to see what they can make of it.  When I activate collision shapes they are a bit weird -- within the body, but sized a bit oddly (by default, at least).  However, they seem to work so it's only the fact I can't attach anything to it that makes it *really* odd.

I guess I should be happy that it's not my ignorance here -- there are MANY things about iClone I'm pretty stupid about, but it doesn't appear this is one of them.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
4u2ges
This post has been flagged as an answer
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I think you have a case of flipped normals on avatar. When bounding with + appears (after clicking attach), try to select avatar in Scene manager. It would attach to the Bone Root.
Then you may pick a right bone from the list.

Edited
5 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Oooo, flipped normals sounds right.  I definitely had issues with the faces (and had to flip a lot of them in 3DX).  Hmmm, I wonder if there's anyway to unify them in 3DX.

Bingo!  Ah, see, there IS something I didn't know, that you could attach things by picking them from the scene list.  Thanks, Mr. G.  I wish you had responded just FIVE minutes ago (I sent the file to support and I suspect they'll tell me the same thing).

I wonder if the normals being flipped have something to do with the other issue I have with this avatar -- the arms act "reversed" (not the feet nor the rest of the body).  I can work around it by editing the motion layer at the start of the animation, but nothing else I try works (including rigging it the other way around for the arms).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I've read it yesterday, but only this morning all of the sudden I recalled I had similar problem with a prop and it was a case of normals, where the picker did not see the back face.
Try flipping faces in 3DX (I never used it though).

Edited
5 Years Ago by 4u2ges
mark
mark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Brilliant catch 4u2!!!BigGrin

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

4u2ges (5/30/2019)
I've read it yesterday, but only this morning all of the sudden I recalled I had similar problem with a prop and it was a case of normals, where the picker did not see the back face.
Try flipping faces in 3DX (I never used it though).

No, I had to flip faces in 3DX just to get them to show.  However, I've done this in the past and it never stopped the avatar from having normals flipped on all parts of it (even the parts I didn't flip couldn't be selected).  There is a "unify" but it doesn't do anything that I can tell, and using Flip on the whole figure doesn't help.  What I guess is needed is some sort of "correct normals".

But no matter -- it's good that it's solved.  Thanks again!

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic