Profile Picture

I'm confused about Clothes and Licensing

Posted By lahja37 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
lahja37
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (84 reputation)New Member (84 reputation)New Member (84 reputation)New Member (84 reputation)New Member (84 reputation)New Member (84 reputation)New Member (84 reputation)New Member (84 reputation)New Member (84 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hi,
I am using Unity and I'm NOT a 3D modeler or painter of any kind. All of this talk about Daz and iClone is new to me. I'm evaluating the CC3 Pipeline version in place of something like mixamo or just buying outright models. 
So I started watching the tutorial videos and have had 100% success making a sample character that looks great in Unity, walks well, looks really good and I have no trouble on the technical aspect. The reason that I have been hesitant to buy this software, however, is that I went to Real Illusion Content Store and there are hardly any clothes. There are a few packs of modern clothing with around 5 shirts each, and for like $200. I don't need photorealistic, high res textures and I was hoping for a little more variety.

And then I saw the video tutorial where some clothes from a thing called Genesis is used. What exactly is this and can I use any of these clothes on my models too? https://www.daz3d.com/clothing-and-accessories-everyday

Furthermore, it seems like some of these clothes I have to buy additional licensing for on top of buying the actual clothes. I'm half-afraid of buying something and getting into copyright issues by not understanding. I'm trying to make a simple adventure, 1 player game that isn't online and doesn't have any transactions beyond the original price of the game itself. I'm assuming that I can use CC3 for  this since it's advertised to use with Unity, and since so many people are using the daz3d/Genesis clothing, can that be used for sale in a commercial product? The warning at the purchase screen said I have to buy an additional license if 'the actions of the player change the outcome of the game'... So does that mean the same thing to me as it does in a design workflow; that is, a game is interactive so I need  to buy an license for each article of clothing from the daz store?

So can anyone help answer any of these questions? Furthermore, can I get a little feedback from anyone who uses CC3 for something like Unity, Unreal, or other commercial software that they understand the licensing. And if anyone has any advice about clothes. I can't make them, and I was looking at this since it seemed like I could purchase them and smooth the meshes in the creator itself. I also thought this software was targeting indie developers in my situation. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I honestly am still just learning about it.
Thanks.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 11 hours ago
Hi...

With Character Creator 3 Pipeline you have the "Transformer" which allows you to convert the huge library of Daz3D characters, clothing and accessories into CC3 ready assets.

So with the FREE Daz Studio you can load a character, apply clothing, hair etc. and then export as FBX. This FBX can be imported into Character Creator 3 Pipeline using "Transformer" where you can save all the clothing as individual assets and apply them to any other CC3 character. Please check out our library of tutorials that cover this process in great detail.

Character Creator 3 Tutorial

Regarding licensing, with our own content from the Content Store you just need to purchase the export license version of each content pack and this will allow you to export the content and use it in commercial games or applications. If you plan to use Daz content for commercial purposes, you will need to check and adhere to the licensing terms on the Daz3D webpage which are different from ours. 

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic