Profile Picture

We are almost ready to do our very first animating...

Posted By Kimmie777 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 days ago
AutoDidact (5/29/2019)
So, which would you rather see if zooming in on eyebrows on a 1080p screen, 150 x 600, or 75 x 300...see? 
Now yes, the memory usage will be a price you pay, Now yes, the memory usage will be a price you pay, 

I would rather see good pacing and proper cinematic shot framing
and  well timed camera cuts during dialog & action.

..oh and a decent genre appropriate soundtrack /Score

90 minutes of True 4k video  requires 477gigbytes of data.
This is not an efficient use of resources.

If people want to sit and  count eyebrow pixels on a screen there are 
plenty is still Image galleries for them to obsess over such matters.

This has become a big problem with alot of Daz content.

One person bought an SUV truck model in the daz store and could 
barely render one still image on his massive titan GPU.

This was not because the undercarriage was meticulously detailed 
with all of the parts one finds on a real life SUV..
But because every bloody Axle, brakeline, and Differential shaft had its own 4K texture on a part
 of the vehicle that no one will likely ever show in a render.

@AD
I think I would be very interested in seeing 8K textures to be honest, up that eyebrow to 300 x 1200!   I like renders of big faces, so maybe this is why this would matter to me, but I think the same could apply for a tiled map on a landscape, you may get more from a higher fidelity texture.  Although, I do find that ALL textures than must be high, otherwise the combo of lower res ones with higher res will make the effort not worth it (ie - a high res landscape under a pixelated sky.)   True however, what you say, the average customer/viewer will not notice...or will they!?  (because gamers and cinema/TV viewers are very adept these days in critiquing an overall take on visual fidelity.)  
Also, great point you had, I agree with what you said earlier about maximizing resources in context of some of the effects you may use (bloom, blur, DOF, color temperature)

@Kimmie - congratulations on a project together, have fun!  Animagic is a wonderful guide who always has great thoughts on completing projects. 
My own personal find is that you can do things - (1) finish a project, or (2) stall infinitely for exploration of perfection's sake.  So - Pick #1, you'll accomplish more!!!!
wildstar
wildstar
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
AutoDidact (5/28/2019)
wildstar (5/28/2019)
i using a titan x with 12 giga vram and is noth enough for some projects. if i use 4k textures. i forced to work with 2k textures with 12 giga of vram. the same scene on unity with 4k textures. get some like 2/3 giga vram and unity deal with like a breeze. Rene jacob say me iclone dont deal at a inteligent way with textures. its nothing new for me, iclone dont deal a inteligent way with many things. but the fact is mixing many technologys on the same pack i undestand how hard it can be, so for today i undestand and be happy how iclone deal actual with all this realtime techs thogeter.

Why make your life harder?? 
4K textures can only be viewed in "4K" on a  display device that has 4K resolution.
Now, after you have added your Bloom,Motion blur and depth of field no one will notice your "4K" details anyway so they dont contribute to storytelling/Narrative
And BTW.... Humans dont actually "see" in 4K
it is a medical fact.

My friend.... comercial renders like you use, iray, vray akjshakjshakray, etc ray... uses supersampling for textures. so you can use textures wih 512x512 for open  takes , and 1k for closed takes. and you will see the detaiils like a nice skin , a nice armor, etc. inside realttime engines. you dont have supersampling for individual textures, the unique realtime engine have this feature is toolbag 3. in game engine you have mipmapping and its sux. its blur more than smoth textures. so both unreal, unity or iclone for closed takes 2k textures is the minimum acceptable for a nice look in closed takes and for superclosed takes must be 4k. its a fact. this and many other reasons make me change my workflow inside iclone. today i divide my project in little pieces just for that. change textures resolution. work all as 4k and force iclone down to 2k to work , when i need a superclose i change it for 4k. 1k textures inside ANY game engine not just iclone make you work looks bad. maybe that you think the unique solution for your work look good is use external render, or like other guy says "real 3d render" or something bullshit like that.  

Edited
5 Years Ago by wildstar
wildstar
wildstar
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)

and about uses 4k renders, is not about the television or monitor ppl uses to see your work online. its about compression, the unique way to fight against the
high compression used on online video players is increasing your resolution. this work very well for 2d videos , for 360 videos this problem (compression) totally destroy 360 videos forcing you use 4k + for 360 renders. i will start produce interactive content for oculus very soon, and the exigences for interactive videos as APPs its the minimum 4k, and recomended 8k. and the phone display dont have this resolution.  
wildstar
wildstar
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

..... and! about i using many bloom or many dof on my works, who talk that, dont show me refereces as animation works i can see as good refereces. so...
Kimmie777
Kimmie777
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thank you, Tony. 

We will not be stalling, but it does need to be done right. 

~ Kimmie

P.S.: Posting our website links here below for anyone who would like more information about this production: 

The basics of info about our film production: 
www.TrackingJESUS.net/Productions 

My book that the film set is based off of:
www.TrackingJESUS.net  

www.TrackingJESUS.net 

--> More Information On This Bible Film Production Can Be Found At: 

--> Become An Early Subscriber To The 'Tracking JESUS' YouTube Channel At: 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMx91AySc3QuF-SS_3mGQQ

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Reiterating what Animagic said...  Please start simple.  I know you want the first Gospel to be as well done as the last Gospel, but it is unrealistic to expect your FIRST PROJECT to be as good as your tenth project.  So you need to practice.  At the very least, I am certain you will go back and update or refresh your early projects because your skills and knowledge will increase as your continue working in iClone.

About "4k textures"...   As was mentioned, a 4k texture is not the same as a 4k image that fills the screen.  For a piece of clothing, the entire outfit probably fills one texture, so a button or an employee's name on a work shirt only gets a very small portion of that texture.  Thus, if you do a close-up and you want the buttons and the embroidered name to be clear (not blurry or pixelated), then you need a high-resolution texture so you have plenty of pixels for the button and the name.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
My friend.... comercial renders like you use, iray, vray 

akjshakjshakray, etc ray... uses supersampling for textures. so akjshakjshakray, etc ray... uses supersampling for textures. so 

you can use textures wih 512x512 for open  takes , and 1k for you can use textures wih 512x512 for open  takes , and 1k for 

closed takes. and you will see the detaiils like a nice skin , a closed takes. and you will see the detaiils like a nice skin , a 

nice armor, etc. inside realttime engines. you dont have nice armor, etc. inside realttime engines. you dont have 

supersampling for individual textures, the unique realtime supersampling for individual textures, the unique realtime 

engine have this feature is toolbag 3. in game engine you have engine have this feature is toolbag 3. in game engine you have 

mipmapping and its sux. its blur more than smoth textures. so mipmapping and its sux. its blur more than smoth textures. so 

both unreal, unity or iclone for closed takes 2k textures is the both unreal, unity or iclone for closed takes 2k textures is the 

minimum acceptable for a nice look in closed takes and for minimum acceptable for a nice look in closed takes and for 

superclosed takes must be 4k.superclosed takes must be 4k.
Hi Athos
Thank you for clarifying one of the major reasons I wont use a 
game engine for movie production.
Your numbers are quite accurate.
In this still  frame from my movie, the Colonels Skin is 
1024x1024 with normal maps for his skin "detail" 
it was originally  4k from Daz however I run a script in Daz 
studio to  reduce it before exporting the .obj/MDD to Maxon 
Cinema4D.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a9bc5987-7b8a-41fd-a6c1-27d5.jpg
I typicly only keep the skins from Daz and  replace the non-
organics like metals,concrete etc with the native procedrual 
textures of C4D that do not use Maps at All 
As a sci fi fan I typically create scenes with multiple Character 
and hundreds of scene objects.
You you are correct, I can not afford to have a 4K texture on 
every item in my dense scenes

It is ironic that most Daz content will  have a 4K texture on 
everything  for  still render portrait artists who use that dumb 
brute force path tracer, IRay for pin girls etc in Daz studio.
Yet you need 4K for Good real time close ups in Unity/Unreal  
etc.for a viewing audience that likely wont have  4K TV or 
computer monitor  ...at least  not yet.
We all have our different  technical approaches to animated 
filmaking.
However in the end Good story telling an filmmaking principles ar what  makes good movies.

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

wildstar
wildstar
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

AutoDidact (5/29/2019)
My friend.... comercial renders like you use, iray, vray 

akjshakjshakray, etc ray... uses supersampling for textures. so akjshakjshakray, etc ray... uses supersampling for textures. so 

you can use textures wih 512x512 for open  takes , and 1k for you can use textures wih 512x512 for open  takes , and 1k for 

closed takes. and you will see the detaiils like a nice skin , a closed takes. and you will see the detaiils like a nice skin , a 

nice armor, etc. inside realttime engines. you dont have nice armor, etc. inside realttime engines. you dont have 

supersampling for individual textures, the unique realtime supersampling for individual textures, the unique realtime 

engine have this feature is toolbag 3. in game engine you have engine have this feature is toolbag 3. in game engine you have 

mipmapping and its sux. its blur more than smoth textures. so mipmapping and its sux. its blur more than smoth textures. so 

both unreal, unity or iclone for closed takes 2k textures is the both unreal, unity or iclone for closed takes 2k textures is the 

minimum acceptable for a nice look in closed takes and for minimum acceptable for a nice look in closed takes and for 

superclosed takes must be 4k.superclosed takes must be 4k.
Hi Athos
Thank you for clarifying one of the major reasons I wont use a 
game engine for movie production.
Your numbers are quite accurate.
In this still  frame from my movie, the Colonels Skin is 
1024x1024 with normal maps for his skin "detail" 
it was originally  4k from Daz however I run a script in Daz 
studio to  reduce it before exporting the .obj/MDD to Maxon 
Cinema4D.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a9bc5987-7b8a-41fd-a6c1-27d5.jpg
I typicly only keep the skins from Daz and  replace the non-
organics like metals,concrete etc with the native procedrual 
textures of C4D that do not use Maps at All 
As a sci fi fan I typically create scenes with multiple Character 
and hundreds of scene objects.
You you are correct, I can not afford to have a 4K texture on 
every item in my dense scenes

It is ironic that most Daz content will  have a 4K texture on 
everything  for  still render portrait artists who use that dumb 
brute force path tracer, IRay for pin girls etc in Daz studio.
Yet you need 4K for Good real time close ups in Unity/Unreal  
etc.for a viewing audience that likely wont have  4K TV or 
computer monitor  ...at least  not yet.
We all have our different  technical approaches to animated 
filmaking.
However in the end Good story telling an filmmaking principles ar what  makes good movies.

thx for your education , and sorry, sometimes i get really pissed, and use strong words. so dont get me so serius when i use wors like FU* and bullshit Smile  
Kimmie777
Kimmie777
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Thank you, Just a Viking.  I do appreciate your feedback. :-) 

But we will work as hard as we need to in order to get it done right and of good quality the 1st time. 

We don't want inconsistencies in the DVDs.  

But please don't misunderstand me: We are not trying to compete with Pixar. 

They may have a million dollar studio, but we have quality of content. :-)  

It needs to be smooth and have no issues in it from the very beginning. 

The differences from the very 1st episode will be very small going to the very last episode. 

But we will be asking questions to you guys along the way. :-)

~ Kimmie

www.TrackingJESUS.net 

--> More Information On This Bible Film Production Can Be Found At: 

--> Become An Early Subscriber To The 'Tracking JESUS' YouTube Channel At: 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMx91AySc3QuF-SS_3mGQQ

ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Wow, thanks for this advice for iClone animation. I brought some characters in from Daz; using them as avatars but they consume lots of memory. I have an elaborate backyard with house that also takes up memory. If I set that up in Daz or Blender and join everything, then import through 3DX, as one piece of geometry, you are saying this will help with memory?

Also what do you mean by converting avatars to animated props?

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan

Reading This Topic