Profile Picture

Render to PNG with black background produces... white?

Posted By Kelleytoons 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12 hours ago
Okay, clearly there are times when I feel like I know absolutely nothing about iClone and this is one of them.  I ALWAYS render to PNG sequences, and I've never seen this happen before but it's also obviously something that is standard.

I set the background to black, and no matter how I render it comes out white.  I assume this is because it's producing alpha for that background (which would be transparent overlaid) but... is there no way to NOT have this?  In my editing program I can overlay on black, but this seems needlessly pointless.  Unless that's just always the way it's been and I've never noticed because most of the time I have a sky dome and/or am inside on a render?  I don't want to switch from PNGs but I will note that if this is indeed the default behavior note that it's not consistent -- if you choose render current frame it will show the black background (which is deceptive if you are just testing stuff out).

Is there no switch somewhere to not render this as alpha transparent?  (Unless that's not what's happening -- I didn't check to see but I'd bet a dollar that's what's going on).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
wires
wires
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
That's the way that it's always been. In my NLE I have the option to invert - treat white as black - on import and everything looks great.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
And if you have transparent objects against background, you may want to consider rendering with uncompressed AVI,
as objects would look different.

Half-transparent bottle on black background.

Natively rendered with JPEG:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/aef032a6-2ae4-49ba-9a3d-d630.jpg

PNG rendered (with black background overlay in post):

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6812688f-c817-4335-9837-f7d1.jpg

Edited
5 Years Ago by 4u2ges

Reading This Topic