Profile Picture

FaceWare with motion capture

Posted By Gabulous 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Gabulous
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hello people!

I want to create a realistic animation movie with motion capture and also facial capture.
Is it possible to connect a GoPro to the motion capture suit and make it record the face of the person using the mocap suit LIVE wireless?
Is the faceware software also suitable for recording faces while the person is moving around? Since i only see demo's of people sitting down and using the faceware.

Gabriel
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 32 minutes ago
You can't use a GoPro -- you need to either use a wired Webcam (with FaceWare) or, if you go the iPhone X route, you can do it wirelessly.

There are some videos out there showing the wired Webcam with the Perception Neuron capturing together, if you want to see how it works.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Gabulous
Gabulous
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)Senior Member (291 reputation)

Ow thats kind of misleading on the website then, because on the website it says: 
  • PC Camera Tracking: Use PC cam, GoPro or ProHD cameras to live capture facial animation.
mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.6K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
I think you can use a Gopro if you use the video or image sequence recorded with it. Faceware use video or image sequence or wire  live webcam connected.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

You could indeed use such an image sequence, but then the whole point of doing it would be negated, as you'd have to sync it up with the body mocap (so might as well do separate).

I have a video tutorial on how to do this.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Gabulous (5/24/2019)
Ow thats kind of misleading on the website then, because on the website it says: 
  • PC Camera Tracking: Use PC cam, GoPro or ProHD cameras to live capture facial animation.

What website?  Reallusion's?

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Gabulous
Gabulous
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

yes it says it on reallusion's faceware website: https://mocap.reallusion.com/iClone-faceware-mocap/https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d92f86e2-2f77-463c-a5cc-c807.png
Gabulous
Gabulous
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Would i be able to record face and motion cap at the same time when i use different programs?
Like use Reallusion faceware for the face animations and then use a different programs not from reallusion for capturing the body, and then make them record at the same time.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The RL site does seem to indicate you can use those other capture hardware devices -- not sure how they hook up to your computer but if the GoPro has a USB out perhaps that's all you need do (my own GoPro bit the dust many years ago).  You'll still be tethered, though -- that's the only way Faceware can capture is via USB.

As to capturing using different programs at the same time -- yes, you can do that depending on your hardware and setup.  I've done it -- once.  It was such a PITA I'll never do it again.  The problem is really one of logistics, which is to say if you have someone (or two) helping you it will be a lot easier and more practical to manage (like one person who mans the computer(s) and the other doing the mocap -- that way they can start and stop the various programs to capture accordingly).  You'll still need to then somehow sync up those performances (that's not horrendous, just a bit of a PITA).  I find it a lot easier to do two separate captures and just sync my body to my voice (or whosever voice I'm performing).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic