Random Hair physics issue

Posted By Dorothy Jean 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dorothy Jean
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Hello,
I ran into a problem with any new hair that I try and create.
Its almost like the UV map is off and does not actually correspond to the UV map that is attached to it. I have tried a zillion different weight maps and skin weights and also converting to accessory so there is no weight on the hair. Nothing works.

Here is a video I made that explains everything 
https://youtu.be/hWIMcvBMD7g

This happens to any new hair I create and I have not done anything different, so i'm not sure if its an update in Iclone and a bug or not.
If anyone has had this issue or knows how to fix it please let me know.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/dbdccbe9-2417-45d2-b87d-7b31.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
So you converted to an accessory and then back to hair (or cloth) and still have this problem?  Because I have found that that does happen with hair that only conversion (and reconversion) solves.

Otherwise I have no ideas.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Dorothy Jean
Dorothy Jean
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

yeah, i went back and forth, spent a whole weekend working on getting this fixed.   I did just make new hair again and this time it works. It is random and i can't figure out why it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I am looking at the video through the phone and cannot clearly see the UV map. But it always to blame for. It is possible that the UV for strands at the bottom just a tiny bit outside of square boundary. And that should be enough to prevent the weigh map to influence hair tips and pin them. I always leave some margins just in case. Try to scale the UV by Y just a bit in Blender.

Dorothy Jean
Dorothy Jean
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hello, and thanks for the tip!
Its what I thought at first so I made sure the UV was scaled and kept going back in till i had like 4 inches of room at the bottom and it still did not work. Its a mystery at this point. 

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Sorry I find it difficult to help much because I don't know how you made it.
My guess is you used a square shape and repeated it to add hair over the head
Watching the video some of those square shapes (If that's the way you did it) of hair seem to be flowing at the bottom and others don't.

So a thought came into my mind that maybe some have accidentally gotten added upside down in blender and that's why the black section of the weight map in iClone is effecting the bottom of those ones? Not knowing or being able to see the model of it in Blender I am only apply to you a guess but just thought I would do it anyway.

Also wondering if there might be a problem with the weight painting in Blender although I would think that the weight mapping in iClone would overcome that especially for the vertices at the bottom of the hair. But thought I would add it because its something I often check when I get strange problems and I sometimes find that is what is causing the problem. But again I for one can only find real errors when I am testing my own models. That's the only real way I can find what is wrong

Here is an image that shows where you can check blenders weight painting values in case you don't know where it is.
I am sorry if what I said is way off the real problem you have also sorry to because I find it difficult to say things well. EG SQUARE SHAP. I couldn't remember the proper name for that
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/176cd292-bae4-4e36-93c9-c20e.png

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
5 Years Ago by Delerna
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
If you apply the black to white weight map to your diffuse texture in the hair material, you will see if any UV's are flipped vertically.
Dorothy Jean
Dorothy Jean
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hello, Delerna and thank you for responding.

I used Blender and created curves from particle hairs.  Converted curves to mesh hair cards.  All the cards were in the right direction and I use CC to do weight painting. Used the "Hair" skin weight template and also have my own that I have used on my other hair prior. I did attempt to make new hair and it seems to be working so i'll just keep going and not worry about the broken hair at this point.  I do appreciate the help!!

Reading This Topic