Posted By johnwarndt52 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Now iclone won't let me link an object to character's hand

Author
johnwarndt52
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Like the subject matter says, now iclone 7 is not even letting me link a simple object to a character's hand so he can appear to move it. I've already thrown away the better part of a year and close to $2,000 on animating my novel and I'm halfway down page one.
I'd thought when I finally got 30 seconds of it successfully animated earlier this week, with multiple moving characters, dialogue and camera zooms, maybe, just MAYBE progress would begin to pick up, but no, now this. 
In that first scene from my book, as well as as in a short practice animation that proceeded it, I was able to attach (or link; I forget which...) simple objects to a character's hand, but all afternoon I've tried to do each with no success. I've opened those previous projects and tried to find some find some hint on the timelines that would suggest what the problem may be, but found nothing.  I also went back to the Character Creator files I used to create the avatars to see if there was anything in the settings that might suggest what might be the problem, but could find no difference between the successful ones and the one that didn't work this afternoon. Does anybody have any idea what might be the problem?

Edited
5 Years Ago by johnwarndt52
johnwarndt52
johnwarndt52
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

UPDATE:
I finally gave up trying to make anything link to that avatar's hand and simply started a whole new CC project, made it look as much like my original character as possible (he's the protagonist of a novel I spent years writing, re-writing and trying to get published; and as such I have very detailed expectations for how I want him to look...) and exported that. Opened him in my iclone scene and have had no problem attaching objects to his hand. I haven't the foggiest idea what I might have done wrong with the original, but at least my neighbors here in this quiet little "senior citizen's" apartment complex won't be hearing me pounding my desk and cursing my computer tonight Wink
mark
mark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Sorry for your issues. I have no problem, so far, with attaching or linking an object to a CC or any type avatar.
Of course it's usually best to use the Linking option so an object can be Linked and Un-Linked at will. My only thought is sometimes projects get corrupt "file-wise" from time to time.

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
That's pretty typical of me as well, cursing when my hardware goes south (as a programmer I am rarely frustrated by the workings of the program, but HATE hardware!).  Hang in there, take deep breaths, and start over as you did and usually things will be fine.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8 minutes ago
johnwarndt52 (5/9/2019)
Like the subject matter says, now iclone 7 is not even letting me link a simple object to a character's hand so he can appear to move it. I've already thrown away the better part of a year and close to $2,000 on animating my novel and I'm halfway down page one.
I'd thought when I finally got 30 seconds of it successfully animated earlier this week, with multiple moving characters, dialogue and camera zooms, maybe, just MAYBE progress would begin to pick up, but no, now this. 
In that first scene from my book, as well as as in a short practice animation that proceeded it, I was able to attach (or link; I forget which...) simple objects to a character's hand, but all afternoon I've tried to do each with no success. I've opened those previous projects and tried to find some find some hint on the timelines that would suggest what the problem may be, but found nothing.  I also went back to the Character Creator files I used to create the avatars to see if there was anything in the settings that might suggest what might be the problem, but could find no difference between the successful ones and the one that didn't work this afternoon. Does anybody have any idea what might be the problem?

Sorry to hear you have been encountering these problems.

If the problem is with a certain project you can send the project to our Support department and the development team can take a look and see what the problem is. 

https://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/UserEx/QForm.html

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

johnwarndt52
johnwarndt52
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks that link, Peter. I didn't use it, but I'll keep it on hand. Creating a new character in CC seems to have solved the problem. I just plugged the avatar from that into my iclone project where I took the dysfunctional one out, so it wasn't  a total waste.
johnwarndt52
johnwarndt52
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Mike.
johnwarndt52
johnwarndt52
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Mark, now that I'm using a Character from a whole new CC project, I'll be sure to use the link rather than the attach option. (neither worked in that one that I ended up ditching.)  I'll just chalk it up to being some sort of fluke.
mark
mark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
It's very strange for sure but things like that do happen from time to time and as you say it must be some sort of "fluke".Wink

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Edited
5 Years Ago by mark

Reading This Topic