iPhone X VS XR

Posted By Scyra 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Both models are being sold for ~$500-$600 on eBay. Which phone would be best for a headcam setup?

CC3 & Daz Tricks | CC3 to Unity workflow

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I think either will work the same but I only have the X so I can't say for sure.  Between the two as a phone the main difference is in display -- some actually prefer the, what, LCD of the XR?  I can't remember offhand but one display is very different than the other.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
I would like some clarification, as the name-giving of iPhones is not always clear to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the iPhone X was a previous version compared to the iPhone XS or XR?

My understanding was that you needed the XS or XR for LiveFace.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Apple never quite makes things easy <g>.

iPhone X was first.  XS and XR came next which is typical of iPhone nomenclature (they release a version and then an "S" version a year later -- the XR is kind of different as it uses a different screen technology).

AFAIK they all work with Live Face -- the only requirement is iOS with a 3D camera (so even the new iPads with the 3D camera work with Live Face).  I know for sure the X works because that's what I have (I had it before Live Face came out so it was just nice for me not to worry).  Right now, for *new*, the XR is the cheapest solution.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

The goal is to make a head camera mount similar to the one made by will2power71 here: https://forum.reallusion.com/375891/Make-a-good-HeadCam-for-under-100#bm375913

I am thinking it would be best if the screen could be facing away from the actor (less distracting), but I am unsure if the camera on the back of the phone works with Live Face, and I also don't know if the Live Face requires the phone camera to be in vertical/horizontal position. Thanks for your answers.

Kelleytoons
This post has been flagged as an answer
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The phone has to be facing, but it isn't distracting.  I have made a mount myself, but have never gotten around to using it (mostly because my body mocap is a whole separate thing -- it would require a lot of coordination to do both at the same time with little payoff).

I just got myself an iPhone holder and used a bike helmet and it worked perfectly.  Here's the link:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XP29B2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi, Mr. Kelley, I followed your advice and purchased the iPhone holder and a bike helmet:

https://www.amazon.com/Zacro-Certified-Specialized-Protection-Black-Headband/dp/B073WCZKPR/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

The helmet I bought is not ideal. There is not enough room at the top, so I can feel the cord where I have looped it through the holes. Also, the phone and cords, when extended to the minimum recommended 20cm, are rather heavy and pull the front of the helmet down. To counteract this, the helmet must be adjusted to a very tight, rather painful fit. A headband—or better yet, the padded waistband of a robe—makes it comfortable enough to work with, I think. My biggest concern was that the cords would wobble while turning my head. I am pleased to report that this is not the case.

I am still waiting for the iPhone XR to arrive, so I've not yet tested it, but for ~$40 and no mechanical work, I think the result is satisfactory, if a little uncomfortable.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The helmet I got isn't uncomfortable and the weight in front isn't bad at all, but you could always add a counter-balance weight at the rear in various ways that might help (offhand what immediately occurs to me is I have wrist belt weights that would fit in the helmet slots, but there are tons of different things that would also work).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic