Profile Picture

CTA 4 - Disappointing first impression

Posted By barrysampson 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
scribbley3rd
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I've been experimenting tonight with lights.  I have a kitchen aid light that's quite bright using a daylight LED strip bulb.  In a dark room if I put the light about half a metre above me pointing down (without any other harsh light sources) I have gotten it working far better and with glasses.  The camera image looks majorly saturated but if it works it works... It doesn't matter what you look like.  Will experiment more but it's great to make progress.  

It's of course better without glasses as tracking keeps up far better but if you're lucky you might just get away with wearing glasses if the lighting is set right. Smile  Just wish you could film elsewhere so you can avoid the sound of a noisy computer.   My thoughts still stand but I'm happier that the software is showing real exciting potential to me now Smile 

Next crash I will send to Tech support directly.  Hope the plugin is still being actively worked on and improved upon in updates Smile  Would be nice if leap motion support could take over body parts as well as facial parts as some people have dodgy eyes etc that don't work as they should Smile 

Ibis Fernandez
Ibis Fernandez
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
If the tracking sucks that much with glasses, and if the suckage is the result of glare from lights reflecting onto the glasses. An easy/cheap solution would be to get some polarized film and put that on your camera when capturing.

Polarized film or lenses allow for reflections to be removed from objects. Work great for removing reflections on a car windshield. Allos the camera to see the actors inside a car without all those annoying reflections blocking the shot. Hypothetically the same technique can be applied to remove the reflection on your glasses so the webcam can see your eyes.

It's a "workaround", but its also CTA/CA that's a word your gonna become very familiar with.

(You will need two sheets of this to make your own circular polarizer)
https://www.amazon.com/Polarizing-Film-Sheet-Gadget-Electronics/dp/B004X3XFHU/ref=asc_df_B004X3XFHU/

You can just get one of these already made... https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Circular-Polarizer-Lens-55/dp/B00XNMXNV0/ref=asc_df_B00XNMXRUW (hot glue it to you camera or something)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ad51c90b-00a8-459d-8ca4-2136.gif
Ibis Fernandez   |   (available for hire)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professional Animator, Filmmaker | Creator of the highest quality (modular) G2 rigs for cartoon animator and developer of Toon Titan and Puppet Producer 
Author of Flash Animation and Cartooning: A Creative Guide
>>> be sure to check out http://toontitan.com for professional grade assets, templates, and custom tools for Cartoon Animator and more.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Ibis Fernandez
scribbley3rd
scribbley3rd
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)Junior Member (197 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Love the theory..   I have a lot of camera filters and none of them made a big impact with glasses wearing which was unfortunate.  But then .. I'm not the norm as I have very small eyes and very very thick glasses.  If I'm straight on then it see's my face fine with glasses.. Any kind of an angle and I can forget it.  Not sure I can blame the software not supporting people like me. Wink 

It's times like this I wish my eyes were more normal BigGrin Then I think glasses would work fine.  

Many thanks to tech support for helping me try and work out what's going on with CTA on my mac. Smile 
Ibis Fernandez
Ibis Fernandez
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
in that case then make yourself a helmet cam. Just have the webcam always steady and straght on your face regardless of how you move it. 

Heres a n idea... of course you would use a webcam not an iphone. If you want to use iphone switch back to cta3, it doesn't require a plugin and you get the wireless benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2fPNzrYwFc

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ad51c90b-00a8-459d-8ca4-2136.gif
Ibis Fernandez   |   (available for hire)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professional Animator, Filmmaker | Creator of the highest quality (modular) G2 rigs for cartoon animator and developer of Toon Titan and Puppet Producer 
Author of Flash Animation and Cartooning: A Creative Guide
>>> be sure to check out http://toontitan.com for professional grade assets, templates, and custom tools for Cartoon Animator and more.
rogdodge
rogdodge
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
@scribbley3rd. I have the same problem because I wear glasses and have a window on my left casting a shadow on my right side. I sorted it out by buying a rechargeable lamp (one used on a musician's stand) that I can clip onto my monitor. It is USB chargeable so no cables and I can adjust the lamp's strength. It works but from time to time I get a 'winky' eye, caused I assume by reflection. But at least I can get head and mouth movements now.

Jerome V
Jerome V
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
What about wearing cheap contact lenses just for mocap? You can buy them everywhere for a few Euros or Dollars. 

Reading This Topic