Profile Picture

Can all the keyframes for a prop be found using Python?

Posted By Data Juggler 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
As with all my Python questions, I will preface with if IClone handles this, please educate me as I only know enough to know I do not know very much.

Here is my current need, and I will write a Python script if it can be done (I just like to know what I am trying is possible before I waste extra time, my specialty).

I have a scene that I have spent a lot of time on already. I have lots of keyframes regarding a drone, and all the sub props and parent props that go with it.

About 3 weeks after the scene is all built, I got to the camera place of seeing my drone next to a character and / or a 'shop' prop and the drone was too big.

So, I decide to change the scale from 60% to 40% that applies to x, y and z due to the scale being locked, and I thought I had solved my issue.

All the keyframes previously applied to this drone are still at 60%, so what am I doing for the 20th time is finding every keyframe for this prop and correcting the scale value. 

So what I need is a Python script that lets me find all keyframes for a given prop, and modify a given attribute at every keyframe after the keyframe specified, or the IClone built in way that I am just not in the know about because all the suggestions here are from well intended book learnin' types, that expect me to read the directions and this is not how my old brain files new information.

Currently I am finding every keyframe and manually changing the Scale value, and this is where being a programmer it makes one feel very inferior to a machine. I know machines are going to take my job in the next 20 to 30 years, but in the mean time I would like to still tell it what to do in this case, and not waste 20 minutes setting the scale at every keyframe.

I also cannot remove the object animation as it has many other things like ducking out of the way of another prop that are pretty important.

And this brings up a bonus question. I probably know less about game programming than most living people unless the subject is pong, however even pong had collision detection and I am wondering if IClone has anything to that extent?

To be clear, if I am moving a prop a long a path, whether it be an IClone Path or just moving the prop from point x,y,z to x2,y2,z2, it would be super awesome if there was an 'avoid collisions' option that the prop smoothly avoided so it doesn't try to go through walls or under the entire world, etc?

Even if it ran into a collision and a popup window asked 'Go Around Left, Go Around Right, Go Above, Stop, etc.

The more I have used IClone, the more I realize the less I do and the more it does, the more realistic it looks, so this seems like a cool feature if not already thought of by someone.

Thanks

Here is a one minute preview of the Drone, you can stop listening after the animation part unless you code in C# / SQL you might find it interesting. (the audio is inconsistent, this is a temporary video until the full one is done):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0-W7bJR_WA

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

Edited
5 Years Ago by Data Juggler
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
To the question of scale reset for all created keyframes. Do you have a curve editor?
If you do (and I strongly advise to get it if you do not), then it is just a matter of selecting all keyframes in *scale* section for XYZ and typing a value of 40.
All keyframes are reset to the scale of 40 now.

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)

To answer the question, no I do not have a curve editor.

The way you said it sounds like there is more than one? 

Is this an add on from Reallusion?

Thanks

PixelDatabase.Net

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Yes, it is an add on. A little bit on expensive side, but well worth it.
https://www.reallusion.com/iclone/animation-curve-editor/

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I remember seeing that when I first started having my paychecks forwarded to Reallusion.

Expensive is relative based on how long something takes, or how well you can do it. 

The video that went with the link you posted is what sold me.

How hard is the learning curve? 

PixelDatabase.Net

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Not really that hard. The interface it pretty much intuitive and there are few video tuts by RL available, plus manual.

SeanMac
This post has been flagged as an answer
SeanMac
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
"please educate me as I only know enough to know I do not know very much."
@Data Juggler

That's as educated as anybody can get. :-)

Regards SeanMac

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@SeanMac I have a cousin named Sean McDonald. Is that your name also? 

50 years of being wrong at lots of things, still counts as experience.

I now know 4 business not to get into.

I have also learned, or learnt for the rest of the world that uses non-American English, never, ever have a partner, but you can't do it alone.
You also have to pay a tax penalty if you hire someone to help you, which should be a crime to me in a we the people country (Guberment lie #1,147).

PixelDatabase.Net

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I purchased Curve Editor this morning, and I was all excited to use it, but every time I launch the plug in IClone crashes.

Is there some trick I have to do on the timeline before I open it or something?

I tried having a prop selected and not having a prop selected, not sure what else to try.

I have a 1080 TI now with 11 gigs of graphics memory and my scene uses about 3, so it shouldn't be resources.

To ask the dumb question of the day, I opened a project and clicked Plug Ins > Curve Editor, that is what you are supposed to do to launch it?
About 5 seconds go by and my system seems very busy, then IClone crashes followed shortly after by the attempted Curve Editor window that is just grey but never renders. Is there some trick to opening this that I didn't get to in the instructions, as the video I watched showed it open already.

Thanks, I requested a refund, but being the weekend if I can solve it in 2 days then I can cancel the refund.

PixelDatabase.Net

Edited
5 Years Ago by Data Juggler
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hi Data Juggler

thanks for that.

I also have fifty years at it if we don't count newspaper rounds and working behind the bar.

As for partners and employees and so on.. I suggest it is a case as in the old catchphrase of Trust but Verify.

I have had at least one business partner who I loathed and who hated me right back. But he was honest to the penny.

All his values were, to me, fascist. All mine, liberal. I hated the way he treated people, even his own family.

But he was very correct with the business and its customers.

So hey! It takes all sorts. And this guy was more moral than the average bishop.

As for McDonald - that name comes from the West of Scotland where the clan rejoiced in the title of Lords of the Isles, a fine vague expansive title.

My lot came from the West of Ireland and were named after the red hair so common in the family. MacAodh - Sons of Fire. [Which I don't have.]

Many thanks for all your contributions to the forum - it all helps.

May a giving hand never falter.

Sean McHugh

PS Re Curve Editor - I have this plug-in too. It is the most wonderful piece of software. I, too have a 1080 Ti screen as well as a 4K one. Never had any trouble.
Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz8ywWC7-K4

Edited
5 Years Ago by SeanMac

Reading This Topic