Posted By Cary B 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

Episode Six of original super-hero graphic novel animated by Iclone

Author
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Yes, I thought about my 'holding off' from constructive criticism soon after posting. I thought "here's someone who's genuinely inviting such thoughts" - and yet I'd held back. But I do agree - it's really the only way to hone a craft like this - 'consider' other perspectives and take on board what you feel is appropriate. So with all this in mind, I'm going to watch your film through a couple more times - with note-pad in hand ! - lol ...... Even though I'm sure I'll come up with a decent list (since I'm one of the most *critical humans* on this planet - lol), - I don't pretend to be an 'expert' on animation - far from it - I'm still learning the basics ...
So I'll go and make myself a coffee or two and immerse myself in the story .....  Smile I'll report back in a couple of hours or so .... Smile 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Well I hope this helps .....

RECAP - What I "noticed" in the opener was:
□ The scene snippets when edited together result (naturally), in changes to the background music. Whilst a tad jarring, I realize that it's *major* to isolate just dialogue & FX and then score the music specifically for your recap (lot of work).
□ I *love* your lighting - I think you've got a great eye for it ....
□ Internal glow inside (some) 'mouths' - that's an iClone issue I've seen a lot - so I don't know how you'd conquer that one TBH.
EPISODE
□ Great opening scene - (Alps & Castle) - the 'music' creates truly great anticipation ....
□ Selandra suffers from a tad of foot slide (I don't think any iclone user can avoid this without major effort - it's as though every user has to teach iClone characters how to 'walk' - all over again. - (my 'commiserations' with this one).
□ Did you use any mocap gear? - just that I noticed additional 'jitter' on Selanda's medium shots ...
□ I have to say it again - your sound track - and 'music' is terrific - it *really* sets the feel.
□ Like your areal establishing shots on new scenes!
□ Very *expressive* Leandro with his arms, as he speaks with Selandra. Great! - I and like your shallow DOF on the closer shots!
□ OK - not sure how close to *real* you were attempting with water surface - some of the more solid opaque (deep blue) shots lacked believability - but others looked *good* - and the 'underwater' shots I thought were believable enough ...
□ So many great scenes - they all move along well,  each with their own amazing atmosphere ... 
□ I really liked your scene with Lyssa & Tallorn - ("Generations have trod") - you portrayed this SO well - it's a beautiful moment - another dimension - and the gliding camera-shots work so well ...
□ Loved your underground tunnel shots (Lyssa & Tallorn) - the sound fx are perfect - and the dialogue - the meaning ...
□ 22:30 through to 23:50 - another amazing sequence - whoahh - rescued! - Such relief! - like completing an iClone project ! - lol Smile  The sound track has so many elements all working well together ....
□ I'm sure you know about the white eyelashes at 25:23 and co-pilot's vocal perspective change at 25:30
□ This production works on so many levels and with nice looking characters, quite good facial expressions, believable enough general animation, engaging story and superb sound track. TBH, if I were to score the *Story AND the *Sound track at 10 out of 10 each, then using that reference I'd score the animation at around 6 to 7 - BUT not based soley on the 'animation skills'. I think that iClone itself has a way to go yet, - iClone (I think) is currently not even able to yield a 10 (maybe 8). I feel there's features that could be included in iClone (like an 'auto foot lock down') - that could add a professional dimension - (I can't for the life of me understand why there couldn't / hasn't been a solution to this). - Anyway, taking this into account and 'adjusting the score' accordingly, would mean about 8 out of 10 for the animation.

This is only my opinion - and others may rightfully disagree - but anyway - so be it ....... 
You should be very pleased with what you've created here !!!  Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
5 Years Ago by sonic7
Cary B
Cary B
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I can't tell you how much I appreciated such a detailed critique, and I'm extremely grateful you took such time to offer your analysis. I certainly didn't expect that, so thanks so much.

Your suggestions are good ones, and some that I am aware of. Yes, I do still struggle with the foot sliding, despite a lot of time devoted to trying to solve the issue. I have found some helpful techniques, but in some cases nothing seems to fully solve the problem. It's an old and ongoing battle.Blink  

You are absolutely right about the recap sequences and why they are the way they are. In early episodes I wasn't thinking about the recaps, and I did not save sound versions of the different scenes without the final music mix. Now I do that routinely, for the very purpose of having them for recaps. But often the scenes I need most for recaps are from those early episodes.  I just don't feel up to going back and recreating the "non-music" versions, especially since many of them were done in Iclone 6 before PBR and other features. So they would have to be upgraded in significant ways, and then all the dialogue and sound effects re-done. Blah. I cut my losses.

The changes in the surface of the water are due to different sets. The set with the wooden bridge is a DAZ set I liked. As I have with other Daz sets, I thought I could use Iclone water for the river. But the mesh was just not compatible, the Iclone water did not stay in the riverbed. So I had to use the DAZ river effect, and put the Iclone video texture for water on top of it to try to make it work. Later scenes where Trevor is floating down river, I used just a basic Iclone terrain and the Iclone river water worked much better. 

I did use some mocap from perception neuron at some times, and I do get jitter. I have on occasion been able to use the curve editor to lessen problems, but sometimes nothing seems to work...I eliminate one problem only to create others. It's been my experience that if you use a mocap file as the first animation on an avatar it is generally stable. But if you have previous animation on the avatar and you add a mocap file, it will often start "drifitng". I have to say the latest version of Iclone is really much, much better in helping align motion files from various sources. But I didn't have this new version for much of the work on this episode. 

Anyway, I will be going through all your suggestions and see what areas I can improve. I appreciate all your encouragement. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/848c8492-ac67-42c2-9d27-461e.jpg

Cary B
Cary B
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Here's one of the new characters in Episode 6...the great Spanish blademaster, Leandro Cazador.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5511db43-a4a4-408b-923c-9bef.jpg

Cary B
Cary B
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

One of the other new characters in this episode, Cornell Bloodworth, one of the "old guard" called back into the fight...
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c4775eca-8624-486e-a50b-49bd.jpg

Cary B
Cary B
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Third new sharacter who appears in this episode: The Black Wasp.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9ebfcaf1-c04b-4844-b70b-fa8b.jpg

Kalex
Kalex
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hey that's very good... Thank you for posting it you kept me entertained while I was woking up, 5 minutes later I was totally hooked ! You did very well, voice acting, motions, facial expressions... Top quality work here ! I'm really impressed. Looking to see more of your work ! :=
Cary B
Cary B
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks, man, glad you got into it.

I checked out a couple of your Prometheus episodes which I hadn't encountered before. Nice to hear from a fellow super-hero fan. 
Your creation of the models and avatars is impressive. Is the story original, or based on something else? 

Cary B
Cary B
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I post a few pictures to keep this thread alive. Her Damian reports on the situation in London.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/54deaeca-802b-47fc-8c94-ddc1.jpg

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@ Shadoesword  ....... I've been wondering about your 'Selandra' character - might I ask how you created her? 

Reading This Topic