Profile Picture

Planning to get crazy talk for exporting into unity; is this the right product?

Posted By lollosone 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Planning to get crazy talk for exporting into unity; is this the right...

Author
lollosone
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
A bit of background: I work mostly on Unity as developer, so my graphics skillset is limited to time and honestly, lack of interest in making meshes.
I do own Character Creator 3, which I bought to import figures from DAZ mainly, into Unity and have a consistent library of figures I can create and modify easily, without spend hours in the conversion and fix issues after the conversion.
So I have a somehow working pipeline from DAZ to CC3, and to Unity; although I need to animate faces now; and this is when I started to look at Crazy talk

Unity has some packages that does facial animation and text to speech; but again, it is a hassle and I don't want to waste time in trying to make it work; so I am hoping that Crazy talk is the app I may use as one stop.

My needs are simple; I may have a DAZ figure imported into CC3, I need this figure to have expression and to have audio, so it can speak and have lipsync to the audio file. Also I need to have the face to animate, either by using a recorded video of the animation, to transfer on the face, or having other means to modify and record a performance; like via webcam, iphone or what else may be useful. Once I get the face animated with the performance(s), and the audio synced to the lips, I need to export it to Unity, so I can import my figure, attach a mecanim animator and have the figure trigger the facial animation when some events happe.

How much of this can I get done with Crazy talk? As now I already have a library of characters in CC3, so what I need is everything else (record a performance/transfer a performance from a video, sync audio to lips, export to Unity and be able to trigger animations in unity).

I know that there is a demo of Crazy Talk 8; although before dig in, I want to figure out if my workflow is even feasible with this application; I may not have enough time to figure things out, since the demo just last 15 days. Thanks
The-any-Key
The-any-Key
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I think you need to go to iClone instead and animate the face there. Tips is to use iPhoneX with Live face. Crazy talk is more for creating a 2D/3D head and make them talk. The export options are also limited in Crazy talk. You can export video, RLTalk and RLHead. But no FBX animations.

iClone 7, 3DXchange 7 Pipeline, CC3 Pipeline, CT8 Pipeline, Iray, Live Face, iPhone Xr, Win 10, i9 9900K ~5GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB, 16GB Ram, M.2 SSD
Edited
5 Years Ago by The-any-Key
lollosone
lollosone
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

The-any-Key (4/18/2019)
I think you need to go to iClone instead and animate the face there. Tips is to use iPhoneX with Live face. Crazy talk is more for creating a 2D/3D head and make them talk. The export options are also limited in Crazy talk. You can export video, RLTalk and RLHead. But no FBX animations.

Thanks, I thought that iclone was to create characters and animations; basically like DAZ studio or poser; not an application to generate facial animations.
Live face is fun but it is not something that I would use at production level to be honest; it looks to me like a gimmik like the video emoji, and I am not interested in that.

From what I read, Crazy talk does make talking 3d heads; which is what I am looking for; although it is not clear to me if they work, once you import them in CC3, and then into Unity; because I don't need just the head but the whole character.

I remember that CT7 had a Unity plugin; although the only videos I found are from 2014 I believe; which are ancient at this point.
lollosone
lollosone
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

So it seems that I should not spend my cash on Crazytalk at this point. Not that many replies, so that is not even a good sign, for a product that should be used by many.

I will explore other venues; for applications specifically aimed at facial animation for gaming. Thanks

Reading This Topic