"Varus Battle", the Varian Disaster at Teuteburg Forest

Posted By toystorylab 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
toystorylab
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Last week Member "vlado" https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/05fc876d-883a-4f0d-8307-eda5.png  posted a cool movie in the German Forum.
After seeing his fantastic work I asked why he did not post it here...
He said movies in languages other than English almost get no feedback.
And as there is quite a lot of explanation (documentation) about a complex topic in his movie it makes no sense to do so...
I suggested posting it with an accompanying text to explain the subject.
He said I can do so if I want to... So, here it is, please give it a try!
(and remember this is NOT my work, all compliments go to Vlado Wink)

This movie is about Armenius who had Germanic ancestors among the people of the Cherusci tribe.
During this time this Germanic tribe was dictated by the Roman Empire.
As a child Armenius was made a hostage of the Romans. He was taken away from his family and was drafted into the Roman military at an early age,
during which he was granted Roman citizenship. At first he seamlessly adapted himself to the Roman domination, their rules and laws.
Little by little he noticed that the Romans inflicted pain and suffering among his people.
He was commander of a Roman legion and master in martial arts, which he proved in several battles against other Germanic tribes.
While in this capacity, Arminius secretly prepared a Germanic revolt against Roman rule.
After his return from Rome, Arminius became a trusted advisor to Varus, but in secret he forged an alliance of Germanic tribes that had traditionally been enemies.
He was well-educated and spoke both languages. He wisely used all the tactical information he received from Varus, for his fight against the Romans,
which culminated in the ambush and destruction of three Roman legions in the Teutoburg Forest.
The decisive battle was called Varus Battle/Varian Disaster (VARUSSCHLACHT) or the “Battle of the Teutoburg Forest” and took place in the year 9 after Christ (9 AD).
One-eighth (1/8) of the Roman army were defeated by the alliance of Germanic tribes.
His victory at Teutoburg Forest would precipitate the Roman Empire's permanent strategic withdrawal from Magna Germania,
and made a major contribution to the eventual fall of the Western Roman Empire.
Modern historians have regarded Arminius' victory as Rome's greatest defeat. As it prevented the Romanization of the Germanic peoples,
Arminius' victory has also been considered one of the most decisive battles in history, and a turning point in world history.

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

Edited
5 Years Ago by toystorylab
rosuckmedia
rosuckmedia
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hello Vlado,
an excellent job..
Greetings Robert
Skuzzlebutt
Skuzzlebutt
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
@ Vlado
this is very cinematic and well done
i was pondering if you used unity or unreal in some scenes

Edited
5 Years Ago by Kipster
vlado
vlado
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hello Kipster, thanks for the feedback, no here only Iclone was used. But interesting to hear that some scenes give this impression.
And many Thanks to Pieter for this perfect Translation, my Englisch is not the best.
Thank you Robert  ihr seid die besten.
Postfrosch
Postfrosch
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)

Hi Vlado,
great Work from you
I like it
Greets Postfrosch
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c4b89e8f-1317-465a-8e7b-63e5.gif

Varus, Varus give me back my legions
Varus Vare, legiones redde
Hello Pieter,
Your translation or notes to Vlado's clip
are great and explain the movie perfectly

--------------------------------------------------------------
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cd9c9a06-21a5-44c5-9f67-6810.jpg
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I think you did an excellent job Vlado.
The forest scenery was excellent however some of the scenery during the battle scenes were a bit stark.
Some trees etc. in the background of the battle scenes would have filled up the screen and made the fight scene more 'robust'.
You used movement very well and it looked pretty realistic.

Historical themes usually don't get many viewers, I know, I've produced a number of them, but then it's not all about the number
of views necessarily but the challenge to tell a story in a manner that is coherent and interesting. You've done that very well, and that
is the greatest reward.

I was able to get some translation from YT's CC generator. It was enough to get the gist of the story but I think toystorylab did your 
video a great service and explained it well to those of us who do not speak German.  Thanks to him for that.

Great work and I'm looking forward to the second installment.

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
Walt_R
Walt_R
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

First of all thank you, toystorylab, for bringing this video to our attention.
Vlado,
I love history. I spent this weekend watching a 3 hour long documentary on Amazon Prime about Ancient Rome and the Roman Army (The REAL Game of Thrones if you will Tongue) so I can appreciate the subject. Your authentic sets, uniforms, animation, lighting, sound, music, narration, and voice acting were all superb. Your production is worthy of being shown on the History Channel. With English subtitles I can see this being watched in any Ancient Western Civilization class. Also keeping Part 1 under a half hour was a great idea. 
Your time and effort in this production was well worth it and I applaud you. BigGrin A fantastic example of movie making (documentary) with iClone. 
Eagerly, looking forward to part II.
charly Rama
charly Rama
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago

Really, very nice job, congratulations friend, very professional, you raise Iclone's level of camera movement very high, and the lights are so well adjusted, that's why people think you have used unity

Wirklich, sehr schöner Job, herzlichen Glückwunsch, Freund, sehr professionell. Sie erhöhen die Kamerabewegung von Iclone sehr hoch und die Beleuchtung ist so gut eingestellt, dass die Leute denken, Sie hätten dies gebrauchte unity

Edited
5 Years Ago by charly Rama
Warped Reality VFX
Warped Reality VFX
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
I don't speak German but understand some of the languages but still found this fantastic to watch you did excellent work I really enjoyed this congratulation bravo.

Warped Reality VFX.
james_muia
james_muia
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Really good film! The combat scenes were insane!

IMDB: James Muia
Aviticus Dragon on YouTube

Computer Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-7820X Processor (8x 4.30GHz/11MB L3 Cache)
Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm
Liquid CPU CoolerASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming Motherboard
32 GB DDR4-3200 GSKILL Ripjaws V Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - 11GB - EVGA FTW3

Reading This Topic