How is a 3DXFaceAnimProfile created?

Posted By Kelleytoons 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 hours ago
So I did buy the Toon pack offered recently, and one of the items provided was a Cartoon Base 3dXFaceAnimProfile (that's the extension) file, to close the eyes of the Toons properly.  Well and good, and in experimenting with it I found it works on about half of the Daz problematic characters (those with larger eyes than normal) although not on at least another half.

I thought to myself -- it would be *real* nice if, as part of Transformer, a similar "Close the Damn Big Eyes" profile could be provided but, failing that, perhaps someone (even someone typing this) could make one.  But I have zero idea how to go about doing that.  Clearly such a profile doesn't have to be tailor made -- as I said, the Cartoon Base one works fine on many Daz figures it was not designed for.  All we really need is a "REALLY close the eyes" version (as opposed to the "Close them MORE" version provided).  

Anyone have a clue how to go about constructing this?  It would be a lot nicer if RL could do this, as they did promise all Daz Genesis would import properly (and at least a large percentage, due to these eye issues, do not) but if it's user doable we can fill in the gap.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 36 minutes ago
You can set new values to muscles (type *real* high value) and save as a new profile. Then apply it to respective avatars as needed.
Or replace a mesh with customized elsewhere obj.

Edited
5 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Okay, I see in 3DX there is the ability to save a profile (in the Convert to non-standard) but it seems to just be all about bones.  Where would you put a more extreme muscle setting for eyes?  Is there some video or perhaps even somewhere in the docs which explains this?

I know you can put another morph in but, as I said at first, this doesn't seem to be a character specific issue (and therefore creating a specific morph seems overkill).  I just need someone to walk me through the process of getting the eyes to close more on a more generalized profile.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Suppose this how RL made that custom profile.
A toon character shared by user cynsegura for troubleshooting:

dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Kelleytoons,
RL
hid explanation here:

Content Dev:CC Morph Creation 3.0
(in step:
Step 7: Detecting Problems with Facial Expressions
Step 8: Fixing Facial Expressions
Step 9: Updating the Facial Expression Profile)

My YouTube channel.
Edited
5 Years Ago by dogged2003
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yeah, it would be nice if any of that worked, but it doesn't.  

You can definitely export the Eyeblink OBJ, but you can't get it as closed in 3DX (so when you export it's always half open no matter how far you close it in the expression editor).  That means that editing it in some other program takes a LOT of work (far above my pay grade).

It shouldn't be that hard -- this process should be a LOT more straightforward.  I think RL has let the ball down here in their promise of supporting all Daz Genesis figures (they do not, clearly).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

You don't need to export anything to OBJ and work with the mesh to have large eyes close. Working with sliders does the job.
And while you do not see the expected result in 3DX (after you close the Expression Editor), eyes are still fully closing when you bring character back to iClone. I showed it in a video.
Call it cheating, but as long as it works...

Edited
5 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

No, it doesn't, at least for the one I'm working on.

The problem is that the eye closing needs the interior of the lid to come down further -- when I hyperextend it (to around 400) I can get the exterior closed but not the interior, and extending any further just brings the outside of the lid WAY too far down.  It really needs to be edited and, as I said, this doesn't work.

I think for a lot of eyes it will be fine, but there will be at least 5% of the anime eyes (which have this kind of angle feature to the eyes where they rotate clockwise -- typical of Japanese Anime --  and thus the lids need editing) it will not.  If the OBJ method worked this could solve it.

It's not that I personally need this much -- I'm not really an Anime sort of guy.  But folks ask me (outside of this forum) about this a LOT, and I really have no answers for them now.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I see. There is a way to do a final tweak of those 5% eyes and then make a profile (could be suited as general idea for anything else).

1. Do what I have shown in a video (setting eye blink to 400, or whatever suits closely) in 3DX
2. Bring avatar to iClone
3. Send it to CC
4. Close eyes (they should be *almost* closed)
5. Enable edit mesh and tweak whatever is needed.
6. Delete everything (cloth, eyes, teeth...etc), but body.
7. Export OBJ (with Materials and with current pose option). GRRR! Stupid CC export leaves a tongue!! So...
8. Import OBJ in Blender with KEEP VERTEX ORDER option.
9. Delete tongue (in Edit mode select tongue material and then Select vertices, hit delete)
10. Optional: instead of tweaking mesh in step 5, you may do it here (for me it is easier).
11. Export out of Blender with KEEP VERTEX ORDER option.
12. Use exported OBJ to replace Eye_blink mesh in 3DX. Set eye blink slider back to 100 and save profile.

Edited
5 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hmmm, hadn't thought of editing in CC3.  I DID try editing in Blender but it was a hot mess (then again, I'm no Blender expert -- I couldn't figure out a good way to select only the lids and -- well, let's just say I'm "Blender Challenged".

I'll give it a shot in CC3 -- I really wish there were effective mirror controls (I try what SAYS mirror but it doesn't seem to select a mirrored face, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  But I haven't spent much time really playing with CC3 edit).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic