Profile Picture

Clothe Character Through Script?

Posted By Polaraul 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Polaraul
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Is it possible to load an avatar, then clothe this character through scripting?
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 51 minutes ago
Might be, depending on your definition of "clothe a character".  You can certainly load in an avatar using the load file function (and possible the load object one, although it's a bit more experimental).  And then load in clothing from another file, with one of those functions.  IF the clothing is at the correct position and IF it's the right scale, pose and size for that character then it would "clothe" that character in terms of overlaying on top of it, but you then have the issue of being able to assign it to that character (parent it).   There is a "Set Parent" function but with no examples -- you need to have the bone that it is set to assigned.  And would it just weight itself properly?  Might. 

But it's an awful lot of trouble to go through with minimum payoff, as it's just MUCH easier to clothe a character elsewhere.  Why do you want to do this?

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Polaraul
Polaraul
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)Senior Member (474 reputation)

Thank you for the reply, it is appreciated.

I am trying to recreate a script that I had in DAZ to create a random character. I wanted to be able to select a random item of clothing and just clothe the figure with it. Ideally I was just hoping that I could load a random icloth item and it would conform to the selected figure, though from what you have said, I am guessing this is not at all possible.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

It won't conform, at least in the way that Daz clothing will, but if the clothing was already posed for that particular figure (including the exact body morphs) it would fit.

We do not have the tools required to make random figures in the way you are thinking BUT you could do a lot with creating your base character (say with a certain style of clothing like business casual) and then adjust colors and/or applying body and face morphs to them.  So that could create a crowd of random folks.  And that would be the way things like Anima 3 go about doing it (with even less capability, since they can't morph their bases but only color them).  I'd have to think about how you'd apply the morphs but the colors are easy.  You could also, at random, hide certain items (so some folks would have ties, or hats, or jackets, and others would not).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
5 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
Polaraul
Polaraul
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thank you for the suggestions Mike and for taking the time to look into this.

I was hoping to make the process fairly autonomous, that is load a random figure from CC3, apply a random pose then apply random clothes. I think though from what you have said, this is not going to be possible (at least, not in a way that makes iClone a more efficient production process than other tools) At this point I may have to go back to my original DAZ solution, or use CC3 and either Unreal or Unity. It is a great pity, I would love to be able to use just a CC3, iClone workflow, but I just keep running into so many limitations of both programs.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

iClone really isn't designed for such an auto generation process -- it's always best to use the tools that fit the problem (if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail :>Wink.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 37 minutes ago
@Polaraul: you could always make it a feature request and see what comes of it.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic