Working with Emissive planes?

Posted By Cary B 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Cary B
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Today @ 12:51 AM
I am trying to use emissive planes to enhance the light of certain sections of a scene, and add a lighting effect. Though I have had success with this in some projects, I have tried to use them at other times and they seem to do nothing at all. That is, they emit no light. I have set the plane as a dummy and then selected the "EMIT GI" option. That has worked on occasion but it is currently not working in my project. I have GI turned on, and I cannot find any other settings that seem to make a difference. I haven't found anything in the manual about this either. 
Anyone had experience with this? 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/848c8492-ac67-42c2-9d27-461e.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 25 seconds ago
Did you check by turning on the GI show cubes (or whatever the heck it's called) to see if perhaps the effect is extended far enough in the place you want it?

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If you are using built-in Oval emissive, then it has a bug. It would stop emitting when "dummy" is checked. You would have to switch to "Receive GI" and then back to "Emit GI" to have it lit.
Otherwise, there might be more bugs with emissives...

Cary B
Cary B
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 12:51 AM
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Helped me a lot. My problem actually turned out to be a combination of both things you mentioned. So, much obliged. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/848c8492-ac67-42c2-9d27-461e.jpg

Reading This Topic