Profile Picture

Making a mask accessory?

Posted By chad 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
chad
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Quick hopefully simple question, hopefully an easy answer.

I have a textured mesh of a mask that I’m trying to make an accessory out of. It’s more of a second skin with a different texture of a face that I’m trying to apply to characters. I’ve followed tutorials to apply the skin weights, edit/sculpted the mesh, and contoured it.

It fits but unfortunately when opening the mouth, using facial expressions, or modifying the blend shapes later, the mask does not appear fully anchored and does not stay attached to the characters face.

I rebuilt the mask with an open mouth so I could mode easily modify the skin weights but don’t have the ability to anchor to the facial bones, only to the head/jaw so it ultimately doesn’t stay connected.

Am I going about this the wrong way?

This mask is being generated from a different custom pipeline so I can’t just edit the character texture as I would guess is the right approach to retexturing a face.

Also, related, I’d ultimately like to modify the characters face/head shape based on the mask but I imagine I’ll have to do this later procedurally in Unity (my ultimate destination).

Thanks for the help!
kmitchell.12catblackstudio...
kmitchell.12catblackstudio...
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
if you bring in the mask as clothing and not as an assessory it will addapt to the face morphs. You can also convert to clothing. 
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Um, yes and no.

It will do it's best to conform with a head morphing but the jaw opening and closing will still be an issue (it will move a *bit* but you are unlikely to get it to stick to the chin and/or nose properly).

If it really needs to be face tight you are better off painting it directly on the face texture.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
chad
chad
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thanks for the suggestions, doesn't seem like this will work for my needs unfortunately.

Reading This Topic