Profile Picture

Mapping jaw to bone doesn't allow jaw open?

Posted By Kelleytoons 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
This is most likely a Rampa question, although I suspect a lot of you know this one.

I'm bringing in a Daz robot that 3DX recognizes as mapped to the Genesis formula, so well and good.  No morphs, of course, so no expressions, but in the bone mapping I can (and do) assign the jaw bone to, well, the jaw bone.  This seems to have no affect whatsoever -- I don't find anyplace anywhere I can actually take advantage and open the jaw.

Is there something obvious I'm missing, or is there no actual use for a jaw bone?

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Hi Mike. If it has all the facial bones, you can set them Them up in the Expression Editor. That's the only way, since characterizing, everything above the neck is reserved for Expression Editor use.
Start at 5:00 in this tutorial to set up the basics in the Characterization panel, and then the rest in the Expression Editor.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

But it only has the jaw bone -- and the bone moves the jaw up and down.

I assume you are saying then this is useless to open and close the mouth.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Try adjusting the jaw bone a bit different for each viseme. That way it will look reasonable when the robot talks.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well, I don't seem to be able to adjust the jawbone at all.  I can assign it, but that's it.

I'll look at that video tomorrow and see if I get any ideas.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Zkeko
Zkeko
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I put this in the feedback tracker, because  I cant find any information on possible resolving this issue in the future. I also comment it in your thread on help with DAZ clothes (bad place to do that, sorry).
But I guess there is nothing bad in telling an old story again. It seems so old question that in the future we can freely call it "Jaws". ))

"Importing fbx file into 3dxchange pipeline (previously exported from DAZ with facial mocap data on it) and accepting automated bone structure conversion, resulting with jaw not mapped warning. After manual mapping nothing could be accomplished, head is moving, but jaw isnt. Its working fine only if you don't accept automated conversion on import, which obviously means that there is nothing wrong with DAZ character, neither with it export (regardless fbx 2011 or 2012 binary, or Reallusion duf file updated, or latest DAZ beta 4.11 update), but with 3dxchange.
More to that, if you try to place any third party facial mocap on any human model (say Reallusion CC3 base model for example), it is impossible to done inside of 3dxchange, because mocap output data in fbx format is unconvertable, only pz2 file through the DAZ export, which becomes the circle with no way out.
In order to work with avatar and not with iProp exported, automated conversion should be fixed in 3dxchange, but is not.
Of course, those who can efford to purchase Faceware and other Reallusion dependences  can close this workflow inside Reallusion product line.
But, hey, 3dxchange (in Reallusion own words) suppose to be open doors to 3d world, not the closed one.
Maybe I am wrong in everything I said, but surely many similar threads confirming this as a big 3dxchange pipeline malfunction.
I still didnt find any reply on this issue with solid resolving proofs, or staten resolving promise." 

Thanks

Intel Core i9-7920X 2.90 gigahertz
Intel Optane+1.8TBSSD
64 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti  11GB
Windows 10 Home (x64), Iclone 7, 3DXchange pipeline 7
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

IIRC (and this was many months ago) I did get the mouth to work properly with the jaw going up and down.  Again, if memory serves, I think the issue was I was assigning it wrong.

Now, as I said to you in that other thread, this has nothing to do with bringing in facial animation.  Facial animation from other software nearly always is bone feature based, and iClone uses morphs.  No connection between the two and you wouldn't expect there to be.  Moving the jaw up and down with a bone (which is what iClone will do) will only open and close the jaw but not form words in any manner.  If this is all you want to do, let me know which Daz figure you are trying and I'll see if I can help (but if you want more, you're out of luck -- not EVER going to happen).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
iClone 3DX 5 and 6 user but I get around this by at first not assigning it to the jaw
using expression editor and saving the profile
(in case it crashes I do this any nonstandard not previously done figure)
then going back into the characterization profile and assigning the jaw bone
I can then go back into expression editor and set the jaw movements then resave that new profile

Edited
5 Years Ago by wendyluvscatz
Zkeko
Zkeko
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)Veteran Member (536 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ok, so DAZ Genesis 3 character is showing facial animation (speech) with 100% accuracy (comparing the actual  animation captured in Brekel Kinect Pro Face v2 ), when you place pz2 output file onto his face in DAZ.
Are you telling me that there is no chance to get this to Iclone with 3dxchange pipeline at all? Or there is a workaround. Didnt understand this well.
I purchised Kinect v2 hoping that I can somehow bypass  Faceware investment, and still make dialog with Genesis 3 model and CC3 base female character as well with Hiwevire base male character (from Iclone content). These models are in my workflow with Unity animated movie project. I didnt purchase any facial mocap software yet, so this is the reason for my enquiry.

Thanks for help
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Nope, you can't do this.  

Again, it's pretty simple -- iClone uses MORPH based facial animation.  It only uses bones for the body and jaw/eyes.  All other mocaps use bone based (AFAIK -- for sure Daz does).  So there is no black box that will translate one into the other.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic