Windows 10 Workstation

Posted By planetstardragon 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
planetstardragon
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Do the features on Windows 10 pro for workstations have a direct impact on the performance of RL products / CG in general. ?   it seems like it should,  but anything significant that's worth 100 bucks more than the basic pro version ?

Best for advanced users and small businesses that want enhanced functionality with the ability to compute intensive workloads.
All of the features of Windows 10 Pro plus:

-Resilient File System (ReFS) designed for high fault tolerance and handling large data volumes

-Persistent memory to access files fast - at the speed of your computer’s main memoryFaster file sharing with features that offer increased throughput with low latency and low CPU utilization

-Ability to run high performance device configurations with expanded hardware support

Edited
5 Years Ago by planetstardragon
mark
mark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
...and hopefully full and easy control of Microsoft updates?????w00t

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Hi Mark BigGrin

yes exactly,  that's actually how I found out about this version,   I was pricing out the pro version because I know it controls updates and discovered the relatively new pro workstations -  which has all the pro features ...and is actually considered an add on to windows .....  It just came out April 2018 ....  it's supposedly the newest iteration of windows 10 -   which I hope microsoft doesn't start getting into stuff like Windows 10 Red, green, or blue versions because it would really confuse the kittens out of everything.

Microsoft is not doing a great job with advertising stuff,  I'm sure this new w10 version would be a big deal to many people from the digital arts industries that have been holding on to 7 -  I know i held on to 7 after the horror stories of incompatibilities,  wiped drives and privacy invasions.

Oh,  one more feature I discovered after I posted this,  It can go upto 6 tb of ram!!  Texture THAT!  w00t

Edited
5 Years Ago by planetstardragon
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I wasn't aware of this version.

I have been using the regular Windows Pro, and it also allows you sufficient control over updates (as opposed to Home) and unexpected reboots. 

There is already an update track for businesses (now called Semi-Annual Channel), which delays updates sufficiently that most problems have ironed out. You can also defer updates further if you want, which is what I do.

So unless you need the new file system and other features, Pro would be sufficient for most. However, anyone reading this, NEVER get Home. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

mark
mark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
It all sounds pretty good, as I will have to be movin' to 10 pretty soon!Angry

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

same,  the 6 tb ram limit,  update-control and  os stability actually made it something to look forward to,  i was dreading updating after all the problems home users were going through when windows 10 first came out.

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
animagic (2/20/2019)
However, anyone reading this, NEVER get Home. 

Hi Job,

can you detail the reasons ?

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
RobertoColombo (2/22/2019)
animagic (2/20/2019)
However, anyone reading this, NEVER get Home. 

can you detail the reasons ?

The main reason is that the Home version gives you very little control over Windows updates. There has been quite a number of instances where those updates caused problems just after their release, forcing Microsoft to postpone those updates, meanwhile leaving the users with sometimes unusable machines, lost files, etc.

Another issue, that is now partially addressed, is that Windows would reboot without the user having any option of being able to postpone the reboot. Imagine doing an Iray render and your system decides to reboot.

The Pro version gives you far more options. The most useful one is that you can opt to go on the slow update track as far as features are concerned, so you are usually six months behind (updates come every six months). During that half year you may hope that most update problems have been resolved. You can also set Active Hours, where Windows won't bother you, but I think Home is that option as well now.

With Pro you also have more control over the OS, using the Group Policy Editor for example, which is missing in Home.This is more for power users, though.  

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

wires
wires
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
Another advantage of the Pro version is that the user can block any, and all, driver updates. This means that if you have a good running system with software requiring a specific driver version for any installed hardware then said driver(s) will not be automatically updated by windows ensuring that things don't get messed up just because NVidia released a driver version to work with the latest version of "Martian killer tomatoes" w00t

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks Gerry and Job

In fact I am setting up a "lower end" system (GPU GTX980 4GB, CPU i7-4x, 16GB RAM) aimed mostly at Python development, whereas the main "beast" is for iClone 3D Animation.
For the lower I planned to use Windows 10 Home.
I hope the automatic updates won´t be an issue, considering the target usage of the low-end PC.

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Reading This Topic