Profile Picture

Who in here some time ago posted tips & tutorials about Blender --> 3DXchange --> iClone?

Posted By Daemonspike 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

Who in here some time ago posted tips & tutorials about Blender -->...

Author
Daemonspike
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey thebiz, I just found out now to do what I think you asked for
(This is something Ive been struggling with recently.  In Sketchup you could group parts of the model together and they would import into 3DX as subprops.  I have not found this ability in Blender and so far am forced to export all the pieces separately.  Am I missing something?)

If you create multiple objects in blender and export, then it seems like you have to make sub-props in 3DXchange, it worked for me.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a1705335-d7f1-4d89-bac3-23d0.jpg

Click on object to the left and to the right click the button Make Sub-Prop
/Mike

Edited
5 Years Ago by Daemonspike
4413Media
4413Media
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Daemonspike (2/15/2019)
Ah ok thanks. Benjamin, as I am very new at Blender could you you explain a bit further how to do that in this
case with the simple cube?
Btw I did not UV map in 3DXchange during this test. I just created a cube and checked the generate UV while creating the cube in Blender.

/Mike

Think of it like unfolding and flattening a box. Since you set a default uv map, it unfolded it fit in a single map, which resulted in that picture above. 

This video will explain the process better than I can. Smile

iClone Certified Director and makes miserable Westerns.
Daemonspike
Daemonspike
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Thanks Benjamin, yeah like sheet metal folding.
Also explain  "and makes miserable Westerns." a bit further  : - )

/Mike
Edited
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Daemonspike (2/15/2019)
Thanks Benjamin, yeah like sheet metal folding.

Another fantastic way to think of textures, and UV Map (unwrapping), is to look at a "sewing pattern" that a seamstress or tailor uses to make clothing.  (See these pictures.)

You take a flat, 2D piece of cloth, cut shapes, and then it gets "wrapped" onto your 3D body.  Taking an X-Y location on the pattern and connecting it to an X-Y-Z location on your body is the "mapping" process, and on the flat pattern.  In an attempt to avoid using the same letters in two places, rather than use the letters X and Y on the flat 2D texture (the cloth), we use the letters U and V.  Thus the flat square cloth is a UV map.

This description is quite literal in terms of what happens.  It explains why your "brick texture" can end up in all sorts of weird orientations on your object, just like stripes on your cloth can result in stripes that go up and down your sleeve, or around in rings, depending on how you laid the "sleeve shape" on the cloth when you cut it out.

It also explains why you can have "blurry textures."  If you made your sleeve shape really small on the cloth, and then had to stretch it 10x larger so it would fix on your arm, the texture on that part of the cloth would be very pixelated looking, while other parts of the shirt might look fine.

Welcome to the world of quality unwrapping and texel density.  Smile

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
5 Years Ago by justaviking
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Daemonspike (2/15/2019)
Hey thebiz, I just found out now to do what I think you asked for
(This is something Ive been struggling with recently.  In Sketchup you could group parts of the model together and they would import into 3DX as subprops.  I have not found this ability in Blender and so far am forced to export all the pieces separately.  Am I missing something?)

If you create multiple objects in blender and export, then it seems like you have to make sub-props in 3DXchange, it worked for me.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a1705335-d7f1-4d89-bac3-23d0.jpg

Click on object to the left and to the right click the button Make Sub-Prop
/Mike

Hey Daemonspike,
I create two seperate objects in Blender in the object mode.  I export into fbx mode.  They show up in 3DX as one object.  Perhaps Im missing something..

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c5a8f748-f2b1-46b6-994d-31a7.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
5 Years Ago by thebiz.movies
Daemonspike
Daemonspike
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

thebiz from your screenshot I think I know what might be wrong.
You must make sub props of all objects, the root one should  be a container, not part of the objects below.
I had the same problem earlier today when I tested.

- RootNode(filename)
+cube
+Sphere
+Cube2

/Mike
Edited
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Theres only one object in my example.  I cannot select a separate cube in 3DX to create a subprop because the two are exported as one.  Yours has two.  Perhaps its a setting in the export from Blender that I missed.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Daemonspike
Daemonspike
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

"Welcome to the world of quality unwrapping and texel density.  Smile"

Hehe
justaviking,  that post of yours is worth gold, much good information packed into one post.

Edited
Daemonspike
Daemonspike
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

thebiz, are you sure there is two separate obejcts in Blender?
Is your Blender scene tree saying like
 World
+Cube
+Cone
Two separate obejcts?
If you save to fbx when imported to 3DXchange they will end up under root node but you still have to click every objects name and make them Sub-Props.

thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yes, two separate objects in blender.  One in 3DX.  Hence my issue.  I played with the objects as obj objects and objects as obj groups options in blender with no affect.  Its got to be something simple that will make me feel dumb.  But what?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b4c2be2d-59cb-4d56-be93-9d18.jpg

Reading This Topic