CC 2.3 to iClone 6.5, and

Posted By Emerald Animation... 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Emerald Animation...
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hardware and budget limitations keep me from upgrading to the most recent versions of Character Creator and iClone, but I wanted to check CC 2.3's backwards compatibility with iClone 6.5.

Let's say I find a cool hairstyle in the marketplace, that is listed for CC 2.3 and above.  If I use that hairstyle on a character in CC 2.3, and if I then export the character to iClone and check the option to export as a CC 1.5 character, will the hair successfully make the conversion as well (minus the PBR, of course) so I can use it in iClone 6?

Thanks in advance for any answers before I spend money.
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I did a quick test with CC 2.3 hair, and although it does export and load in iClone 6.5, I found the visual result much less than in CC 2.3. (Sometimes it also does not export the weight map for the hair, but that is easily fixed by exporting the weight map out of CC.)

This is the hair in CC 2.3:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/19dacf9b-bc2e-44dd-84fc-30e8.jpg

And this is what I get in iClone 6.5:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/33697e97-2a1d-4a63-b3b3-a9fc.jpg

So the difference is quite substantial. In addition, there is also a certain shimmering effect with this particular hair. There may be ways to make it look a bit better. I haven't used iClone 6.5 in a long time.

All I can hope is that you find the funds to upgrade as the visual improvements are definitely noticeable.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Emerald Animation...
Emerald Animation...
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks animagic.  As it happens I decided to gamble the 500 DA points to try one hairstyle, and it worked well enough for me.

And yeah, I would not expect the 6.5 visuals to be as good as the 7 visuals, but I'll give it a shot until my pocketbook can justify a major upgrade of hardware and software.

Reading This Topic