Profile Picture

I need some help exporting to 360 video!

Posted By Apollonius 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Apollonius
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I can do it just fine, but here is what I'm wanting to do:

I want to use an equirectangular image as an environment to record in, rather than a rendered 3D environment. Is that even possible?
Whenever I try to use an equirectangular 360 image as a backdrop, and then go into 360 mode to record, it renders each cubeface as the entire image.
...Maybe if that image was tagged with 360 metadata? Would iClone even recognize it?

I suppose I could try it and see...

[EDIT] Okay I tried that, I injected 360 tags into the image and then tried to use it as a backdrop, same render results. It doesn't work. Sad
The closest thing I have seen is to use an equirectangular image as the "sky", but that image is highly blurred, and there's no way that I have seen to make it clear, only to make it more blurry.
And then there's the problem of size output. Apparently iClone doesn't use full 360 format (1:2), and there's no way to achieve that in a video render, even if you select "custom" for the size.
So I have tried to get around this by saving as an image series, but when you have that many HUGE frames, file size gets crazy. ...And AVI files have a 4GB limit. Sad

Again, I have created a Hi-res VR video and tested it on my rift. It works just fine. But the rendered environments are very cartoony, unrealistic, and not very interesting. I have also tried doing a composite where I make the 'sky' invisible and just capture the characters and props against a grey background, But I still have to stretch that image out, because of the file size format limitations. Plus I have to select the entire background, delete it, stretch the resulting transparent PNG to 1:2 ratio, and superimpose it onto the equirectangular image. If this is for a video, and I have 1800 frames, then I literally have to do all that 1,800 times. There has GOT to be a better way... even macros would be a pain for that, when direct MP4 rendering exists, if I can just get them to work the way I want them to.

ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Edited
5 Years Ago by Apollonius

Reading This Topic