"Look at" animation help please

Posted By Renaissance Man Studios 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Renaissance Man Studios
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hello everyone,
I have a scene that I have been working on. The scene consists of two characters. One character is sitting and the other is standing. I am trying to get the sitting character to look at the standing character who is speaking to him. I want his eyes and head to move slightly following the standing/speaking character who is not moving very much.

I tried the "Look at" command, but I am unable to parent the sitting character to the standing character. I tried creating a small box/dummy and attaching it to the standing character's head, but I am unable to link it although I can get the sitting character to look at the box/dummy.

I've searched the forums and old iClone 6 YouTube videos and still can't figure it out.

Any advice/solution would be greatly appreciated.

dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I think, you can't catch 'transition area'.
Maybe this will help:

https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost367309.aspx

My YouTube channel.
dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Maybe this will help:

My YouTube channel.
Renaissance Man Studios
Renaissance Man Studios
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
dogged2003 (1/24/2019)
Maybe this will help:

Thanks for the reference, but I am still unclear if a can get one character to look another using the "look at" selection.
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi. Along the lines of what you have said.
I find the easiest and most effective way is to 
     1) add a cube for each character you want to control what they look at. Especially when you want to change what they look at as the animation progresses.
     2) Set the character to look at the cube you loaded to control what that character looks at. 
     3) Select the timeline value to where you want to change what the character looks at and move that characters cube to where you want him to look
     4) repeat step 3 so you can change what the character looks at as the animation progresses
     5) When completed set the cubes to Dummy mode so they are invisible from the scene

Here are some images to illustrate
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e6cc80d3-bb30-41c6-bf9e-a0fd.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/da971ded-bbe4-40ea-bdd8-3f87.png

Here is a animation showing what moving the cube does

Here is my first attempt at using this method with 3 characters talking and changing who they look at as they talk.
This was just an experimentation project I did for controlling what characters look at.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
5 Years Ago by Delerna
dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I do not understand what you are doing. What tools do you use? Choose a head and everything will work. Maybe your avatar is incomplete?

My YouTube channel.

Reading This Topic