Characters stay in place instead of moving

Posted By ultimativity 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
ultimativity
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello,  I assigned a walk to my character using Motion Puppet. The character walks, but stays in place like on a treadmill, rather than walking forward. I have also had this happen with some of the motions in my Content.

I have encountered this problem before in Unity and the animation's motion was not being applied to the X and Y Transform. However, I don't know how to modify the Motion Puppet animations.

Any ideas for a fix? 

Thanks,
Nathanhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a34f13db-bfa1-4089-9633-3913.jpg

Nathan

Lamias
Lamias
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Yes, some motion files only apply animation data, and don't change the character's position on the XYZ axis. Some other motion files do it both (applying an animation and moving the character as well, if the animation's purpose is movement, like walking, running etc.) Most of the times you will apply motions and see for yourself if they move the character or not.

The motion puppet tool falls under the first category. It only applies animation on the character.

So if you want your character to move in space after using the Motion Puppet Tool, you have to do it manually. Are you familiar with the process of moving objects through the XYZ axis?

My YouTube Channel
Phoenix   Wink

Edited
5 Years Ago by Lamias
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
The easiest solution will be to create a Path that your character can walk while performing the walk animation. See HERE for help with this.

Alternatively, you can keyframe the movement. That is to have your character start at Point A at Frame 1 and then move to say Frame 200 and position your character at Point B. He will then walk between Point A and Point B over 200 frames. You will, of course, have the adjust the frame spacing to compensate for the distance to you want your character to walk.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Darren01
Darren01
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I don't think I've ever had any of these motions actually move the avatar (transform)
I usually attach the avatar to a path

ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Thanks to everyone for responding. I am learning about Paths now.

Nathan

Reading This Topic