Wrestling with the Snake - My Experiments with Python

Posted By Kelleytoons 5 Years Ago
Rated 4.2 stars based on 5 votes.
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks to all for the kind words -- it encourages me to keep posting these.

Kevin -- my goal, eventually, is to have a library of such things.  Right now they are very specific to my tasks at hand, and I'm sure very soon now we'll have tons of more generalized scripts that will work for everyone.  I was actually hoping by doing these I'd encourage more people to check it out -- even if you don't know how to code you can put together snippets of other folks' coding and do amazing stuff (and there are lots of folks around to help).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Warped Reality VFX
Warped Reality VFX
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)

I completely agree I will start creating a library to share also, I also have more free popcornfx to put up soon so thanks again I appreciate your videos keep them coming.
Quick question is python compiled or interpreted I ask only for execution speed.

Warped Reality VFX.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 38 minutes ago
Cool stuff KT!

A library of "helpers" is a great idea. Seeing the process of how create it is very helpful.
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I don't know anything about Python and probably never will.
But I do know this-

"Wrestling with the Snake"....!!!!....such a fantastic title to this post
**APPLAUSE***
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Python is interpreted.  It's pretty fast, though (like Lua it will process lists extremely fast).  I wouldn't worry (much) about execution speed (even the real time examples they have done work well -- the biggest lag is just going to be iClone itself).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Warped Reality VFX
Warped Reality VFX
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)

Thank you for your quick response, how are you enjoying the iclone 7.4 API and what would you improve on?.
Are there good code snippets and good documentation?

Warped Reality VFX.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

There are two issues: one, we are missing some critical functionality.  Two, the documentation is a bit contradictory (and some examples plain don't work that way).

The first will be fixed -- Luke is working hard and has a real good plan for what is coming.  Even if we just get the first pass (the immediate stuff) I'll be happy.  It will fill in all the gaps there currently exist.

The second is just a matter of working through it, which is why I started this thread.  For my part I will post what I know works, and if others can do the same we won't be reinventing the wheel.  The docs will get cleaned up eventually -- you can never have too much documentation.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
5 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

Great Mike! - yes (though not a programmer), I still understand your videos at a 'conceptual level'. It's interesting that the 1st video (rotation of gyros) is *seemingly* a more involved task to achieve (than the lights) - yet the script is more concise. But, (as you pointed out), that's partly to do with having to add extra lines of code for *emulating* the stepping curve. I can grasp that this is necessary because of dealing with current *limitations*. (I don't understand the coding itself - but in any case, (and as Rampa said) creating these 'helpers' is a great idea) ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
rollasoc
rollasoc
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Thanks Mike, (especially for video 2 that implemented the idea I suggested).

I installed python last night and an Pycharm IDE (though over the weekend, I may start using VSCode since I use that at work) or scrap having an IDE and stick to notepad++.
I played throught the first few RL examples and hacked about with them a bit.

So will have a play over the weekend, hopefully.  Have some ideas for some scripts I want to write.

Home built PC:- i9 9900K 32GB RAM, Zotac 1080TI mini.
Band Music:-  https://thehairthieves.bandcamp.com/
Solo Instrumentals:- https://sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com/

Reading This Topic