Profile Picture

Mouth-only animation (no head required)

Posted By captaindash 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
captaindash
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I'm wondering if Crazytalk8 or Crazytalk Animator would be better.  
What I want to do is animate a mouth only (think: Robot Chicken) that has a transparent background so I can overlay it onto a photo of a toy or car or whatever. I want to be ably to auto lip sync a crude drawing of a mouth (or have it use one of a bunch of different mouth shapes that I create.  I just don't want to have to manually animate the mouth shapes with keyframes, I want to auto sync them to the audio).  I don't at all want it to look like the toy or photo itself is talking because I think the technology just isn't there yet for realistic mouth movements for an average joe like me so I want that low budget look.

Any ideas on which program to use?  If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Honestly, hands down the best program for this is Moho.

I created these in about all of ten seconds (the first is a file they provide, but the car with the mouth on it I made from it in literally less time than it took to download the car image).  It's also the easiest, best lip sync out there.

https://mega.nz/#!suxHiCgZ!bhXEk9KWASSoopk8enKk_mx2XSEbmFo5V7UqxZp9alU

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
captaindash
captaindash
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)Junior Member (155 reputation)

Thanks so much for the reply! 

Couple questions:
-I checked out the full feature comparison list of Moho Debut vs Pro but I didn't see anything about audio sync.  The word Sound was under Scripts (yes for Pro, no for Debut), but I have no idea what that means.  Does the Debut version have it?
-$400 (USD) is pretty steep for a guy who doesn't know if I'm going to end up really doing this or if I'll do it twice and never again so I'm curious if the Debut version would be enough for my super basic need (and I can always upgrade later).

I'm going to try the trial and see.  30 days is a nice trial.  My trial is already up with CTA and CT8 which sucks because it was only 2 weeks, and that was over xmas and nobody except you has answered my forum questions and I emailed the company itself multiple times through that box in the lower left but they don't seem to want to reply so I've already lost out on my trial, and looking at tons of tutorials etc online didn't help me.  If that's how Reallusion wants to roll then I guess I'm out.  I literally spent the entire trial times for CTA and CT8 trying to have that unbelievably basic question answered so I'm out of time to play around and learn the ropes in order to make an informed decision.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Debut would be all you need (the advanced features won't have any impact on your project and, as you say, you could always upgrade if you felt the need).

You could even get by with a much earlier version -- again, for your project you don't need much -- even THIS version would be fine for you:

https://smile.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Software-Inc-MHD12HDVD/dp/B01K4RAGUW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546950856&sr=8-2&keywords=anime+studio

Any version of Moho/Anime Studio (it goes by both names) will work for the mouths.  Hell, you could use a version as early as 9 (but I doubt whether you can find that anymore).

The real magic with the mouths-made-easy is to use the program Papagayo (freeware -- written by the same author).  Web search for it, download it and try it out.  Essentially you load up the wave file, type in what is being said, line up the words with the audio (doesn't take more than a couple of minutes) and output the file to be used in Moho/AS.  There are all kinds of tutorials on this and I even have a few on my YouTube channel, but you should be able to figure it out (if not, holler at me or get on either the Lost Marble forum (official one for the software) or mine (AnimatorsForum).

I don't think there's any better program out there for 2D -- and I LOVE Reallusion products and own most of them.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
captaindash
captaindash
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks again for the info.  That Papagayo software is on the Smith Micro site itself, which great because it alleviates many malware fears.

That's so crazy that the physical disc is cheaper than a download.  Unfortunately I don't have a disc drive (MacBook Pro) so a download is my only option.  It seems that every time I look into any of this animation stuff there are always other plugins and other stuff needed, which can make the learning curve quite difficult.  I'm used to Photoshop and programs like that where I can do 99% of what I need without 3rd party plugins needed (which are usually nothing more than glorified Actions).  

I appreciate you helping me get started so much.  Saved me many, many hours of fumbling in the dark.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I think you'll find Moho easy but if you don't there are tons of great resources to help (not the least of which - ahem - is the AnimatorsForum.com, of which I am admin).  I no longer do any 2D stuff (or so seldom I'm practically a newbee now) but there are still great people there and I have a lot of tutorials on my YouTube channel (all the recent stuff is iClone because that's where I am now, but there is a separate Moho/Anime Studio channel).

Have fun!

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic