UV editing?

Posted By sterlingy 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sterlingy
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi, I'm trying to figure out if UVs can be adjusted via Maya's UV editor. I see there is a 'Launch UV Reference button here (see pic). Can this somehow link to Maya (or any UV editor)? I am currently creating a base model in CC3 and re-sculpting the mesh in ZBrush. When I bring the resculpted mesh back to CC3, the UV's get stretched, and I would like to 'massage' the UVs to minimize stretching etc.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e4cf281c-b3dd-4990-b98e-524b.jpg

Stick with the flock, end up a lamb chop!

--------------------- GEAR --------------------
MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor
Perception Neuron Mocap (2)

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

Edited
5 Years Ago by sterlingy
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The "Launch UV Reference" is only a low rez overlay to use as a guide when painting textures.  I have had no success with UV maps that have been 'changed' outside of iClone/3DX world - even if it's simply relaxing or smoothing to even out the UV distribution (ie. no changes to island size or placements).  In my experience 3DX corrupts the mesh when you 'replace' it after editing the UVs.
vidi
vidi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
UV can only changed with the Model , e.g for that you need load the Model in Maya and use the UV Tools 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
5 Years Ago by vidi
sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Thx for the feedback illusionLAB &vidi !
@illusionLAB, great info on 'Launch UV Reference'
@vidi, Yes, I get the model can be loaded in Maya & UVs modified from there. The problem with that, I believe, is that once the UVs are adjusted in Maya's UV editor, this will break the link if I want to migrate back to CC3. My ultimate goal is to output my final models from CC3 taking advantage of its auto-rig/skinning & LOD export features.

My current line of thinking for a clean 'unbroken pipeline:
1. CC3: create base model
'GoZ' to Zbrush
2. Zbrush: Sculpt base model from CC3 & export new hi-res Normal/AO maps (these will be updated again later in Painter)
'GoZ' back to CC3
3. CC3: Apply updated Normal & AO maps to updated sculpt. Make any necessary adjustments to updated mesh as it relates to rig.
             ***((this is where I would like to make UV adjustments after the Zbrush sculpt may have 'stretched' UVs in certain areas))***
             - EXPORT FBX for Substance Painter: (SubD mesh before export for Hi-Res workflow...this is only for texture creation in Painter.)
4. Substance Painter: Create new Hi-Res textures. Export 4K textures (Diffuse/Normal/AO/etc.)
5. CC3: Apply updated maps from Painter. (At this point the model should be finished, Textured and Rigged)
             - EXPORT LOD FBX's: LOD-0 through LOD-6

So, you can see my conundrum where I would like to 'adjust UVs'. Is there a way to re-arrange my pipeline somehow to include UV adjustments before painting in Substance?
Any deep thoughts?

MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

vidi
vidi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Actually The CC3 Character is already properly UV ing. Modifying not needed. 
You want transfer the Normal and AO map and I think you run in  a problem because Zbrush can not Handle UV sets.
There is cumbersome  workaround for texture backing in Zbrush for the CC Character . To see in this video... 

But if you have 3D coat,  it can handle UV sets and baking the Texture in a easier way.

Also for the Term UV think like this  
a UV map is  the 2D flat unwound Projection from the Mesh and it is also the template and is only like a canvas for your textures.  

A UV set (groups) are slectet areas (Polygons) from the Mesh store as extra Material ID's,  so that parts of the Mesh  have now its own map. e.g. seperatly for Face .. Body ... 
Zbrush overlapping  all these maps and handle it not separately ,therefore it needs the trick.

liebe Grüße vidi

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks vidi!
Its nice to know that CC3 is at least 'assuming' to update the UVs as the mesh is updated.
3D Coat seems to be a nice option for texture baking (not what I'm after in this particular instance though).
One thing I should note, I am well versed in UV editing, with many hours logged over the years.
I guess I am used to modifying my own UVs, and maybe this particular workflow doesn't require it if CC3 can handle it on its own.
Any other deep thoughts welcome ; )

MSI G60 Ghost

vidi
vidi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Why want you create a new UV Layout of the CC Charactermesh ?

liebe Grüße vidi

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

vidi (1/5/2019)
Why want you create a new UV Layout of the CC Charactermesh ?

After modifying in Zbrush, polys get moved around and that creates stretching of the UVs, so yes, I want to massage them back into something that will prevent visual artifacts.

MSI G60 Ghost

illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
If you alter the UVs, you won't be able to "replace mesh" in 3DX - the mesh gets completely corrupted.  I seem to remember having success with an exported FBX model but on import it 3DX considered it a "non-standard" character and I had to retarget the bones.  I also think you lose all the face morphs, or the mapping (ie. you need to manually reassign all the face shapes).
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
@Sterlingy   I cannot be sure why the link is getting broken after modifying UVs in Maya, since I do not have it.
But I sure can export character out of CC, bring it to Blender,
edit UVs in any way I'd like and successfully bring Character back to CC3.

I do not have anything to fix, so I unfixed it Smile

normal navel

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/85290ca1-1990-488f-8080-34a3.jpg

deformed body UV in Blender for navel distortion

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/65351dd1-f9e4-44e9-af78-fa76.jpg

Edited
5 Years Ago by 4u2ges

Reading This Topic