Training Videos

Posted By dougbussell 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
prodos
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Greetings Alan,

You're very welcome!

My hope is to produce an iClone 7 version which I am negotiating with Reallusion about, so we shall see what 2019 brings.

The Reallusion developers are obviously brilliant and inspired individuals -- and very competitive -- advancing their 2D & 3D software in leaps and bounds.

The problem is that this kind of "overdrive" energy does not necessarily make for good instructors.

A lot of people know how to use technology in amazing ways. Very FEW people know how to TEACH.

I've learned more about using iClone correctly just from following your careful, thorough overview of iClone's MENU items (!!) then I have from watching dozens of hours of those other way-too-fast, way too hyped up, completely incomplete, careless tutorials. 

I'm not exaggerating.

The best thing REALLUSION could do for its truly exciting products is invest HEAPS in calm (I repeat: calm), steady-minded, honest-to-goodness, no-nonsense teachers.

That would be a very good and a very profitable business decision for REALLUSION.

Well ... enough "writing to Alan"! I must now get back to "listening to Alan"!
Yes, back to my iClone tutorials.

The good stuff! Smile

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

prodos .... you do make some very *valid* points here for sure.
I'll personally now be *totally honest* - When it comes to *purchasing instructional videos* - I'm a cheapskate - no doubt about it (well let's just say that many a $ is spent on the 'software' - so there's not much 'left over' - lol) ...
Which is *why* - I've always sort out the "freebies" .... (I don't think I'm alone with this approach) However, once you find a *good* teacher (read; no hype, talk you through like a 'friend' approach) - then I'd personally be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for that instructor's expertise ...
(and I also by the way, make reference to 'WarLord' here - for all his efforts - as well as others like Rampa, IllusionLab, Kelleytoons etc)....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I'm going to link to a video with some great advice.
(I've shared this before, but it's relevant to this thread.)

Andrew Price (a.k.a. Blender Guru) talks about the **VALUE** of paying for training (and better hardware).  He makes some great points.  In terms of paying for training, assuming it's good training, you not only learn faster, but you learn proper techniques, "why" you do things, and you avoid learning bad habits.  For me, iClone and my other software toys are just that - toys - so I'm very reluctant to spend much money on them.  Even so, I can see that he makes several very compelling points.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

prodos
prodos
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Greetings sonic7.

When it comes to *purchasing instructional videos - I'm a cheapskate

You want "cheapskate"?!

I'm a Greek-Australian (Full name: Prodos Stefanos Nicholaou Marinakis). I think that tells you everything you need to know! BigGrin

However, once you come to realize properly a *good* teacher (read; no hype, talk you through like a 'friend' approach) - then I'd personally be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for that instructor's expertise ... 

Absolutely agree. 

I hesitated a loooong time before buying Alan's course (for the above ethnic + possibly a few rational reasons to boot).

So glad I finally took the plunge.

Mind you, it was on special at the time.

But it all worked out just fine in the end. Cool

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

@Dennis ----- Well I've seen some of Andrew's videos before (to do with Blender) - but - in this particular presentation I have to say - he makes a lot of sense. (not that he doesn't make sense with Blender). Mind you - the final 'judgement call' about free vs paid is still down to partly a 'subjective' call. Personally, I think you get to *know* whether you're 'relating' to an instructor (or not). Prodos' mention of 'hype' vs 'true teaching ability' is very true. The hard part with psid is knowing what the experience is going to be like. But with all this discussion, I do feel that Alan's 'reputation' as a teacher has been shown to be solid.

@Prodos - I think, to be totally honest, you readily *get to know* an instructor's 'manner' - when you have access to 'listen' to them - 'free' means you *can* readily listen & decide. With *paid* - you're buying into a bit of an 'unknown', - though you could *miss a good opportunity*, because of 'holding-off' purchasing .... 

I think it's a *trust* thing, and I'm a very 'wary' person at times -- lol ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
jarretttowe
jarretttowe
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Paid versus free is simple...people are more likely to use something they paid for versus something they got for free.
Reallusion should have a master class training series on udemy that addresses every aspect of their software. I really like their recent youtube focus, but they should be doing this continually...and they should reach out to veterans here to produce videos on specific topics, and there should be a focus on basics...scene creation, planning, camera movement, character interaction, etc. Of course, we want the technical stuff too, but a robust training course on udemy would be huge for the platform. Having a course on udemy would also spur creation of other training courses. And the more training available, the more the user base will grow.
Edited
6 Years Ago by jarretttowe
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Jarret  " .... people are more likely to use something they paid for versus something they got for free .... "
Ideally yes - I'd agree - unfortunately, in my situation I'm guilty of *failing* to use stuff I've paid for and, at times, go hammer and tong at eeking out the 'free' lol ....
But I have to agree with your observation about the need for a 'robust' course - focused on 'basics' ....
The acid test would be - If I can understand it (and get 'productive') - then it's a *good* course - lol 

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
dougbussell
dougbussell
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Sonic7
I thank you again for this growing list. The information provided in these videos is helping shorten the learning curve.Your hard work in cataloging and listing these is greatly appreciated. And to the monitors of the form posts\lists like this should be pinned to the top. It is very helpful and answers many questions.
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well thank YOU Doug for starting this thread .... it's most productive I feel ... Smile

I look at it this way .... I'm:
* Not Computer Illiterate (not totally anyway)
* I'm a 'creative' person with a passion for Audio Visual
* A bit of a 'Perfectionist' - to my own downfall
I *hate* reading 'manuals' - love watching instructional Videos ....
So, as a result I love to engage with the likes of WarLord, Rampa, Kelleytoons, Mark (IllusionLab) etc etc ... I get 'bits' from all their Videos ...
But maybe 'structured' is what I need .....

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
iamdb768
iamdb768
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
All youtube videos were very good. Thanks for this.

Reading This Topic