Titan RTX Advice?

Posted By VirtualMedia 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
VirtualMedia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Could any hardware Guru's share some wisdom or speculation about the Titan RTX and it's potential usefulness in CC3 / IClone 7.4?

Also any suggestions about a PC build that wouldn't bottleneck the card would be greatly appreciated?

24 G's of VRAM would certainly move things down the timeline however it's my understanding SLI doesn't add up VRAM for renders which adds to the confusion..

Thanks - Happy Holidays..

Virtual Media® / VTV® / The Virtual Entertainment Network...
http://VTVLive.com
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Funny you ask, because I am considering this as well.

Iray will use multiple cards (as well other similar renderers), but as with SLI, the VRAM does not add up. So two cards with 11 GB still count as 11 GB, but obviously with double the processing power.

Now 24 GB sounds like a lot, but while testing Iray in CC, my 8 GB card ran out of juice with moderate scenes. It helps to optimize the scene. Even what is not visible, still has an impact it seems.

Considering the current prices of 2080 Ti cards or even new 1080 Ti cards, of which you would want at least two, one Titan RTX suddenly becomes attractive, and you have more than double the VRAM.

I've started specking out a system for this card, which would be something like this:

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 GHz Processor
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard
64 GB RAM (maximum that the motherboard can handle unless we have 32 GB RAM modules)
M2 format SSD (2 @ 1TB)
additional drives as needed

You need to be able to handle a lot of data fast, so the processor is quite beefy (8-core) without being too expensive. I always use Intel, but there may be suitable AMD processors as well.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 58 minutes ago
I hope that if one of you (or someone else :>Wink gets one of these they will run a benchmark on one of the standard scenes (Dennis has a thread devoted to this).  Would *love* to know how it works with the standard iClone renderer (not at all interested in Iray but I'd really like to see how it stacks up to my own Titan).

I don't need more than 12GB (haven't even approached that yet) but speed is always a factor.  At the prices of this card it needs to be around twice as fast as I can currently render to be practical, but I'm guessing that's always a possibility (even though I kind of doubt it).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
VirtualMedia
VirtualMedia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

animagic (12/21/2018)
Funny you ask, because I am considering this as well.

Iray will use multiple cards (as well other similar renderers), but as with SLI, the VRAM does not add up. So two cards with 11 GB still count as 11 GB, but obviously with double the processing power.

Now 24 GB sounds like a lot, but while testing Iray in CC, my 8 GB card ran out of juice with moderate scenes. It helps to optimize the scene. Even what is not visible, still has an impact it seems.

Considering the current prices of 2080 Ti cards or even new 1080 Ti cards, of which you would want at least two, one Titan RTX suddenly becomes attractive, and you have more than double the VRAM.

I've started specking out a system for this card, which would be something like this:

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 GHz Processor
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard
64 GB RAM (maximum that the motherboard can handle unless we have 32 GB RAM modules)
M2 format SSD (2 @ 1TB)
additional drives as needed

You need to be able to handle a lot of data fast, so the processor is quite beefy (8-core) without being too expensive. I always use Intel, but there may be suitable AMD processors as well.

Thanks for the info animagic, if it would get close or equal in performance to a couple cards that worked in SLI it would be easier to justify. I've read as many reviews as I could find and they all appeared to be about deep learning, research and gaming. As KT mentioned it would be nice to see some render testing done. One would think Nvidia would at least throw us bone here.

I just watched a video demonstrating another RTX has has cropped up on one of these. Seems to be isolated but it's early days..

Also thanks for the specs info, I made the mistake of purchasing a Quadro and don't want to duplicate that blunder. Please keep us posted if you take the plunge or update what specs would be recommended for a card like this.

Current specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-9900K 3.60GHZ 16MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151
Cyberpower PC Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler (SingleStandard 120MM Fan)
HDD:512GB Intel 660P M.2 NVME SSD + 3TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo
MEMORY: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 -CB ATX w/ 802.11ac Wi-Fi, ARGB, USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - Corsair TX-M Series TX850M 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Semi-Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply
NVIDIA® TITAN RTX™ 24GB GDDR6

Any suggestions or recommendations on this would also be appreciated..

Edited
6 Years Ago by VirtualMedia
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
@Kelley: Even without Iray rendering I'm approaching VRAM limits at times, because GI is quite hungry already and other improvements of the native renderer may also require their share. So that got me thinking also.

It will be a while before this will take shape, but I have an older system that needs modernizing (i7 2600K, 16GB RAM, GTX 980), so there is an opportunity. 

@VirtualMedia: you may consider 64GB RAM, if it falls within your budget.

I don't know if liquid cooling is necessary unless you over-clock. I always try to use air-cooling.

A site that I've learned a lot from is https://pcpartpicker.com. You can pre-spec your system and see if there are any incompatibilities and also how much power supply you'll need.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by animagic
VirtualMedia
VirtualMedia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@VirtualMedia: you may consider 64GB RAM, if it falls within your budget.

I don't know if liquid cooling is necessary unless you over-clock. I always try to use air-cooling.

A site that I've learned a lot from is https://pcpartpicker.com. You can pre-spec your system and see if there are any incompatibilities and also how much power supply you'll need.

Thanks for the info, I'll work 64 gigs of ram into the budget and won't be overclocking.. hardware config is not my gig Wink I'll check out the site you posted. I'd rather put the money where needed and useful.

Reading This Topic