[ iClone 7.4 ] Showcase of Python API for iClone

Posted By Tony (RL) 2 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Data Juggler
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
RobertoColombo (12/12/2018)
Hi Kevin,

yes, Pythom is OOO, you can create classes and code in "OOO-thinking".
What is special with this language is several ready-made data structures but also the so-called "phytonized" lines of code where with one single line of code you can do what would require many lines if code in other languages.
Anyway, if you know all of these languages you will be able to jump in very easily.

Cheers

Roberto

phytonized - Just because something can be accomplished in one line, doesn't mean that is the best way to write it.

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)

Kelleytoons (12/13/2018)
It's now the #2 programming language (Java is first).  Although it does depend on the polls (but all in in agreement about the top five).

As was said, it's a remarkably efficient language -- I can do things in five lines it took 100 lines of C# code.  So it's worth knowing (and using).

Please give me an example of something that does 5 lines in Python, versus 100 in C#.

I am paid by the hour, so this sounds horrible, but for my own knowledge I would like to know what you are talking about.

I just looked at the code for the hand puppeteering sample, and I am about to not bother learning python from looking at it.
It looks you are expected to know the names of all these objects, is that correct? 
You might not be the person to ask this, but is there something like an Object Explorer that I can find all the objects in project that are available to me.

Without Intellisense, this seems like going back to punch cards.

I have yet to see anything C# can't do, people have tried to show me F# and R and convince of some reason why C# couldn't do that, and I have never seen a convincing argument other Microsoft wanted to not use C# for something.

I will go back to my high paying open source development; I am too old to learn new tricks.

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Let me ask you a simple question: what's your goal for this crusade against Python?
You don't like it? Fine... don't use it.
I also personally prefer C++ or C# vs. Python but RL has chosen Python, so that's ok... no need to waste time to beg for another language.
Anything more important to discuss here?

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO / 
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the VB with an HDMI splitter) / DirectX: 12

Edited
2 Years Ago by RobertoColombo
animagic
animagic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
It seems to me it is now best to focus on what can actually be done with Python.

As I have pointed out before, other 3D packages also use Python (Blender , Houdini), so it can't be all that bad. Checking out Udemy courses, I'm noticing a wide variety of areas where Python is used as well.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1a09220f-ab50-42ac-ad1a-33ec.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/Uploads/Images/d14339d0-cd32-4b35-88f9-40a0.png

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Hi Job,

100% agree.
Python is widely spread and today used world-wide, so something good should be in there...
RL made a choice and considering that also Blender uses it, I am ok to dig more into it: I already made a Python training in the past so now I can go one step further with Pyside2 lib which I do not know yet.

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO / 
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the VB with an HDMI splitter) / DirectX: 12

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Maxon Cinema4D studio has python module,
in fact even SmithMicro Poser has Python support, and for a while, talented third parties
were making some excellent  add ons for the program, such
as the poser physics/ragdoll plugin that I used for years before migrating 
from Mac to Windows and natural motion endorphin for ragdoll.
(poser python physics)
Sadly its full potential in poser was never realized but that
is another subject entirely. :-/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My name is Galactus,Devourer of worlds.
Look on my works ye mighty,..and despair!

My Feature length animated film
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17J9NeEDWIXUmdt3bx9q5dWrR50poEA5d/view

Reading This Topic