Eyes are looking the wrong way when exporting to UE4

Posted By modernstoryteller 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
modernstoryteller
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I'm creating animations in the latest version of iClone 7 and exporting them to UE4.
I did some facial motion capture and unfortunately the eyes are looking off to the left.
To correct this, I placed an object in the middle of the scene in front of the character and told the character to "look at" the object. It looks good.
However, when I import into UE4 onto a UE4 skeleton, the character's eyes are looking to the left again.
So it seems like when iClone exports the animation, or when Unreal imports it, my instructions to look straight ahead are being ignored.
Does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?
Thanks for your help!
modernstoryteller
modernstoryteller
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Please note: This issue isn't just limited to exporting to UE4; it happens when I save MotionPlus clips to my library as well.

I've done some further research and I understand that this issue is supposed to be addressed with the "Bake Constraint Key" option, documented here: http://manual.reallusion.com/iClone_7/ENU/Pro/Default.htm#iClone_7/Pro_7.0/08_Animation/Baking_Constrain_Keys_into_iMotion.htm?Highlight=bake%20constraint%20key

I understand that, in theory, I should be able to check "Bake Constraint Key", then collect the clip and add as MotionPlus to library, then apply that to a new project, and my character should be looking in the right direction. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work properly; the character's eyes are still looking off to the left (her right). I made a video of it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16N66g4A6SGsuanlgtxcQopS1RtSIx7EK

Description of the video: I created a new project with the default avatar, applied an animation, and made her look at the camera. I then ensured "Bake Constraint Key" was checked, then collected the clip and saved as MotionPlus to library. I then opened a new project with the default avatar and applied the newly saved animation from the library. She is not looking at the camera, and her eyes are looking off to the left (her right).
Edited
6 Years Ago by modernstoryteller
modernstoryteller
modernstoryteller
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I've discovered this issue was reported on the Feedback Tracker over a year ago by TonyDPrime, here: https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/Look-At-Camera-Motions-are-not-captured-in-FBX-Export/1/eyes
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
modernstoryteller (12/10/2018)
I've discovered this issue was reported on the Feedback Tracker over a year ago by TonyDPrime, here: https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/Look-At-Camera-Motions-are-not-captured-in-FBX-Export/1/eyes

You might add a comment in FT with your findings to bring this under RL's attention again. This seems like a really basic issue that needs resolving.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by animagic
modernstoryteller
modernstoryteller
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks, I did. And I agree wholeheartedly!
Pixel4Fiction
Pixel4Fiction
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (318 reputation)Senior Member (318 reputation)Senior Member (318 reputation)Senior Member (318 reputation)Senior Member (318 reputation)Senior Member (318 reputation)Senior Member (318 reputation)Senior Member (318 reputation)Senior Member (318 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hi Iclone Community,

I just noticed that, despite my different attempts and settings, I can not export (Unreal/3D max) the "look" of my character ...
I tried a lot of configurations ... nothing to do, always the same problem.

By creating a facial mocap (through Live Face) I had a great composition ... after exporting it to FBX format and import it under Unreal (or 3D max), I first found that my character had a "funny look" ... so I modified under Iclone this "expression" using "Look at Camera": very perfect & beautiful tool! but I quickly disillusioned seeing that this option "Look at Camera" was not exported in the final FBX...

Then, I collect my animation in "Imotion Plus" sequence ... and created a new ICLONE project, imported my Avatar (created under CC3, note that all my versions are "Pipeline"!) and placed my Imotion Plus sequence on the new avatar: everything is perfect ... except the "look"! So I thought it had to be done manually ... with the "Face Key" tool and by creating EyeBall Keys (and baking constraint key) ... but: nothing to do ... always the same, my FBX file does not want to integrate any eyeball constraint.

I have just come across this post ... which tells everything (in a better English than mine) But my question remains hot: the problem has been solved? Is there a solution (even tinkered) to have a "perfect look" ...
Did someone contact the support department to report it? Reallusion give an answer?

Thanks for your prompt support.

Reading This Topic