A way to convert this file?

Posted By sonic7 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
wendyluvscatz
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I have used the CGspeed CMU ladder climb a few times
I apply it to Micheal 4 in DAZ studio and export that

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

Thanks Wendy for that suggestion --- I'll take a look Smile ----- 

Edit: - Ah - yes I've seen these before (the format converted ones by B. Hahne) - and *I think* (if my memory serves me right) - they're 'open ended' motions ie: non-looped.
My problem is that this poor avatar has to climb around 30 or 40 feet - so I'm locked in to 'repeating' cycles - but thank-you very much for offering your help Wendy - I do appreciate it -- Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Well after 10 hours of constant 'tweaking' on this '20 second' climbing shot, - I've sadly got a result that's neither convincing nor usable.
I'm starting to wonder whether in *half that time* I couldn't get a better result using the Kinect v2 Mocap.
In 5 hours I could probably get a more intuitive and responsive feedback experience, because pushing and pulling limbs with a mouse seems about as precise as skating on ice with deformed skates - or like trying to grab hold of a slippery jelly fish. Lol. Terribly unproductive day .....
It's *probably* user incompetence - at least I'd like to think so. Doze

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 41 minutes ago
I looked up rung spacing, and it varies, of course. But 12 inches (31CM) is pretty reasonable.

This might be a good exercise in motion creation in the Motion Layer. Being that you can lock hands and feet as you're editing, it may end up easier than actually adjusting the existing motion.

I'll try that later on. But I sure do wish we had some automated movement system that could just adapt to all kinds of terrain. I see really cool Youtube demos of things like that once-in-a-while. Smile
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Rampa >>> " ..... it may end up easier than actually adjusting the existing motion. ..... " <<<
That's what kept going through my mind throughout yesteday while trying to tame this motion. Again most likely user error - but the more I adjusted the avatar's positiion, the more 'deformed' it became later in the animation. (a 'ripple effect'). The extreme example of this was when 'copying & pasting' the 'fixed-up' 1st cycle and positioning it directly after the 1st on the timeline. You'd assume a 'copy & paste' would give 2 identical cycles - but no, the right shoulder deforms about half way through the 2nd (copy) - which "wasn't" visible in the 1st.
Next I tried 'baking' the 'Reach Target' modifications and doing a 'Collect-Clip' to create an iMotion file - but that resulted with the re-imported avatar facing the opposite direction (plus it was deformed).

But one thing I'd *really* like to know - (if anyone can help) - and that is "how do you go about *totally* releasing a Reach Target "sphere" from a body limb - so that it's no linger 'attached' and affecting the limb? I thought I'd solved that - but it still seems to influence the limb even after I perform the "release".

Edit: .... OK - well it seems that if you're not extremely careful, you can get extra instances of your Reach Target (meaning a 2nd one that's also doing the same thing). I found one such instance hiding in a collapsed scene item menu - so I 'released' that one as well - resulting in the hand being truly released.

I do think my approach (procedure) with this leaves a lot to be desired. I'd really like to follow *someone* who is able to 'create' a true vertical climb manually from the ground up. I think there's a few procedures to get a clear understanding of - especially because of the critical nature of 'rung spacing' which requires a single cycle to be accurate and able to 'repeat' and not accumulate an error as the avatar climbs ... 
I *did* take care to ensure the ladder was truly vertical, and the rung spacings are identical throughout. I also ensured that the 'transition curve preset' was set to 'linear' otherwise the movement of a 'pre-recorded' motion would ease in/out by default, upsetting the true distance travelled.

Another 'issue' I've noticed is that *if* the pre-recorded motion is out by just 1 or 2 degrees - the avatar can drift left or right sideways across the ladder as it ascends. Which is possibly another *case* for manufacturing from scratch.

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Are you using the reach effectors? If you are, just move the ball to move the hand, but don't detach it. The effectors are somewhat different than a regular reach target in that they are attached to the skeleton itself so they are always at hand.

If you want to attach and detach, you should put reach targets on each rung.
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Rampa .... this may be part of the problem - which do you feel would give the best result?

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I have been using the motion layer and the locks for the hands and feet, and finding they are still moving out of place quite a bit. This despite being within their motion range. I don't have a good solution yet. When locked in the motion layer, they should stay in place, even when the pelvis moves.

So I'm not sure which is best. Sad
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well I've tried manipulating the entire height of the climb (all 12 cycles) - together as one 'entity' to avoid accumulating errors in stacking already tweaked cycles which may have incurred an accidental rotation. The mixamo vertical climb cycle unfortunately has issues. For one, it requires a -4 degree X-axis rotation to get the avatars feet AND hands both on the ladder at the same time, otherwise the top of the avatar is too distant from the rungs. I finally realized that a -4° X-axis rotation would also be required at a new key-frame placed at the end of the 12th cycle. This gave a constant angle to the avatar throughout the climb. But the other 'issue' is still "as before". With the distance (height) placed at the sweet point where the feet were hitting every rung, the hands grab for a mid-position exactly between rungs. With the number of rungs doubled, it looks very wrong aesthetically and the foot 'climb' ends up being on every 2nd rung, while the hands grab every 'other' 2nd rung - most strange.
So another full day of nothing accomplished. Sad Searching for professional industry standard vertical climbing motions drew a blank - but that doesn't mean they don't *exist* - it's just that I can't seem to source them. If anyone, anywhere knows how to source climbing motions I'd certainly appreciate hearing about it. Alternatively if anyone has ever hand crafted a climb in iClone, I would really appreciate knowing how best to approach it. Finally, if anyone knows of any good instructional resource about doing this type of thing, I'd really appreciate a 'heads-up' on those. Smile

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 25 minutes ago
I have struggled with is as well (for a downward climb), and I sort obfuscated the motion by making it fast and by having lots of green smoke. It fitted in the story so it was OK.

I have the some problem with a character going up and down stairs. You would think that could be easily done. Python, maybe?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic