Profile Picture

This Look Symptoms of a Bad RTX 2080 TI ?( Please See Video )

Posted By eat_me_toyota 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

This Look Symptoms of a Bad RTX 2080 TI ?( Please See Video )

Author
eat_me_toyota
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Saw on Nvidia forum that GPU rendered videos can also display symptoms of a bad 2080 TI.  The same clip using my GTX 970 took 8 times longer to render, but it was flawless.

Edited
6 Years Ago by eat_me_toyota
eat_me_toyota
eat_me_toyota
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)

I reinstalled a 970 and managed to reproduce the same behavior so pretty sure my 2080 TI is fine.  As I learned in my other thread, it's a known bug when working on a 4K monitor where the screen scaling is not set properly and the UI and text are really tiny.  iClone renders almost 3 times faster, but then you get the same problems in the above video.  What's interesting is that when I replaced the trees with ones with lower poly count, the image quality seems just as good as if the scaling is set correctly.  The result is a rendering speed 3 times faster.
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I'm curious what your Display scaling is set to. I'm working on a 4K monitor with scaling at 125%, and while I have problems with text readability at times, I have not had issues with rendering.

I'm also wondering if the newer cards are less optimal in some areas. I have two systems, one with a GTX 1080 and one older system with a GTX 980 (both running the same Windows 10 build (1803)), and text looks definitely better on the older system.

I have wasted a lot of time trying to optimize, but have given up. As I said rendering works OK.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

eat_me_toyota
eat_me_toyota
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I actually only work with windows scaling set to about 225% and the "Override High DPI Scaling" activated within iClone Properties/Compatibility settings so everything is big in the UI.  I usually have to go into the iClone properties because windows scaling doesn't always make the iClone UI bigger working on a 4K display.

Only when it's time to render, I shut down iClone, go back into Properties/Compatibility settings mentioned above and deactivate "Override High DPI Scaling", and reopen iClone with the UI in micro mode.  It's a pain in the @$$, but it makes iClone render so much faster.  BTW, I did manage to render the video above with none of the distortions while leaving the high poly trees in the scene.  Not sure what I did different.  Maybe it's restarting iClone that did the trick clearing some kind of cached memory or something.

I'll try working with windows scaling set to 125% like you or maybe even 100% to see if it makes a difference.  I work sitting on my sofa watching a 65" 4K LED TV so I can walk up to the screen for the really small text.

As usual, thanks for the info.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a5ee0418-0199-4f0d-8d2d-ee03.jpg
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I have a large 43" monitor so I'm sitting quite close, so 125% is enough. In your case probably not. Reading through a lot of stuff it seems that 125% is kind of a magic number.

Another thing I did is changing the size of the Windows UI font using a free tool: https://www.wintools.info/index.php/advanced-system-font-changer, because some fonts were still to tiny.

You used to be able to change the font size in Windows, but that option has been taken away. The tool works though so you may want to check that out.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic