Profile Picture

are there any plans for automatic breathing on avatars ?

Posted By Darren01 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

are there any plans for automatic breathing on avatars ?

Author
Darren01
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Not sure if it's been mentioned before
would be another realistic touch to have the option for an avatar to breathe automatically, like the autoblink feature.
Maybe some adjustment to breathing rate and intensity.

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Darren01 (12/1/2018)
would be another realistic touch to have the option for an avatar to breathe automatically, like the autoblink feature.

Somebody will be able to write a plugin for that. That should actually be fairly easy.

EDIT: Fixed embarrassing typo...Blush

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
5 Years Ago by animagic
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Yeah, let's be careful about assuming things like this -- it's an easy answer but until we really know what we can do I think the better reply is "perhaps Python may be able to solve this and we'll know in a month or three".

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Darren01
Darren01
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
animagic (12/1/2018)
Darren01 (12/1/2018)

Somebody will be able to right a plugin for that. That should actually be fairly easy.

I think it really should just be a standard feature for iClone, just like autoblink.
Every character needs to breathe, so it shouldn't be an optional/add on feature IMO.

Apollonius
Apollonius
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Darren01 (12/1/2018)
animagic (12/1/2018)
Darren01 (12/1/2018)

Somebody will be able to right a plugin for that. That should actually be fairly easy.

I think it really should just be a standard feature for iClone, just like autoblink.
Every character needs to breathe, so it shouldn't be an optional/add on feature IMO.

I totally agree with this. You almost always have to add breathing to your motion clips, and even the ones that have breathing are nearly impossible to sync correctly when you're dealing with a million different motion clips at once. If blinking is handled this way, then there's no reason I can think of not to do breathing this way also.

This is a HUGE factor in character realism, way too big to not do right, as was done with blinking.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Apollonius
Apollonius
Apollonius
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Sorry to double-post, but I thought it was worth mentioning that in addition to the things which have already been stated, it's impossible to animate a character to have realistic breathing in iClone currently, because that would require bone scaling, which iClone doesn't animate. If we could simply have the option to add breathing to a character the same way that blinking is already handled, with sliders for intensity, speed, etc., then that specific bone scaling could be handled as an allowable, specialized form of bone scaling, used only in that instance, within certain set parameters.

I've just spent hundreds of dollars on piece after piece of functionality, just to bring my characters to life. ...Only to find that they look plastic, artificial at the end of the process. I've been trying to put my finger on exactly why that is, and I finally realized that they don't breathe, no matter what the other animations have them doing. Default motion clips which contain breathing contain very artificial-looking breathing, so I set out to make better ones. I finally figured out how to do it, but then spent a long time trying to figure out why mine didn't work.

...Only to find out that the reason why the default breathing animations were so lousy, is because you can't animate bone-scaling morphs. Ironically, the reason why they removed these was probably for the sake of realism.

PLEASE don't wait to put this vital, fundamental aspect of character realism into iClone 8, put it into 7 so that we can all start producing truly realistic, life-like characters right now!
Edited
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
You can add breathing as a morph as well, which can be animated. That is another option. It used to require 3DXchange, but you should be able to do that in CC3. I'm no expert, so maybe someone who is can chime in here.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
5 Years Ago by animagic
Apollonius
Apollonius
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you for that, but can you, or someone else, elaborate please?

I have made morph sliders that look PERFECT when I play around with them manually in CC3, but when I try to use those same parameters in the iClone morph creator/animator, none of them work, because they either grow or shrink bones. That is part of the reason why I'm so frustrated, I was right at the end of the process, and I had finally gotten the tweaks perfect, so that breathing looked totally natural. I was really happy with it, and then it wouldn't work because of something I never expected. Sad
Edited
gordryd
gordryd
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Apollonius (3/13/2019)
If we could simply have the option to add breathing to a character the same way that blinking is already handled, with sliders for intensity, speed, etc., 

Since RL seems to be in the middle of changes/improvements to their product line, it seems like a perfect time to add this functionality.  As mentioned, breathing s/b "built-in" for all avatars (like blinking is), with controls mentioned above to customize.

Reallusion Certified Director / Reallusion Best Visual Award / Reallusion Certified Content Developer
See all the G-Tools Plug-Ins available for iClone here: G-Tools Plug-Ins

The-any-Key
The-any-Key
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
While you wait you can use Python for that:

iClone 7, 3DXchange 7 Pipeline, CC3 Pipeline, CT8 Pipeline, Iray, Live Face, iPhone Xr, Win 10, i9 9900K ~5GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB, 16GB Ram, M.2 SSD

Reading This Topic