Posted By Tony (RL) 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

[ iClone 7.4 ] Some News and a Survey about Python for iClone

Author
Tony (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Dear iCloner,

Reallusion is going to launch the Python for iClone Project recently.

The Python for iClone Project includes two major parts: iClone v7.4 and Plugin Marketplace.

Through iClone’s Python Open API, developers can build various plugins to expand iClone's functions. These plugins can be designed to satisfy different purposes and needs, such as increasing productivity or using more creative ways to make animations.

Moreover, through the upcoming Plugin Marketplace, iClone developers can upload, share, and even sell created plugins to a global community.

On the other hand, general iClone users can download and even purchase user-made plugins on the Plugin Marketplace to expand their iClone’s functions.

Our ultimate goal is to build an ECOSYSTEM which can attract more developers and even companies to create and sell iClone's plugins.

Now you can participate in the Naming Survey to let us know your preferred name and slogan of the Project.

Please feel free to add extra names or slogans to the "other" option of the survey if you have any good idea.

You can also reply to this post or inbox me if there is any suggestion.

Your opinion will be an important reference to our naming strategy.

Thank you so much for the kindly cooperation.

Note: The Plugin Marketplace (Beta) will be made available in Q1, 2019. Selling plugins on the Marketplace will be unavailable in the Beta Stage, but users still can share and download user-made plugins for free.

BR
Tony

Tony
Product Marketing Manager 

www.reallusion.com
Edited
6 Years Ago by Tony (RL)
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Tony,

Can I ask a question before I wet my pants?  (Sorry, that may be too local an idiom for folks outside of the United States to understand -- let's just say I'm seeking to contain my excitement here).  Originally we were told the scope of the "Python for iClone" project was going to be VERY limited, to only the position/rotation/scale of objects on screen.  What you are describing sounds FAR greater than that, perhaps even something on the scale of what Python can do inside of Blender (which is, basically, everything).

Obviously as a (former) programmer I am very much in favor of this -- I can think of about a bazillion things I could do if I had access to even 50% of the functionality of iClone.  But I don't want to get my hopes up because I'm aware there is often a communication issue here.  So -- can you please give us a little more info on how much functionality will be exposed by the API?  Is it still going to be extremely limited (in which case I can't really see how many plugins could even be useful, let alone sold on the marketplace)?  Or have the plans completely changed?

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 14 hours ago
I'm not a programmer but I could be a good customer .
Suggestions for futur plugin programmers : In my case think like Reallusion :
1-Easy to learn for beginner
2-Esay to use (slider/drag'n'drop)

If it's based on scripting to work (like popcornFx editor) I can't buy it.

Thank you

Dr. Nemesis
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
It’s too late. I just did backflips all over the place.
This is huge news and now I can’t wait for Iclone 7.4

I know I shouldn’t get too excited yet but I just can’t hold it in. I hope this’ll be as game changing as I’ve imagined all year.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
And since we're on a time delay (so you won't be seeing/answering until tomorrow), Tony, can you also explain just how widespread the availability of Python will be for folks.

IOW, is this some sort of exclusive "developer only" club that will require RL to certify who can and can't develop plugins?  Because if so, how do we get in?  What are the requirements?  Because now I'm thinking that maybe this has been going on for some time and only with 7.4 will those devs who HAD have access already are finally going to publish their stuff (in which case -- jealous, and a bit angry at not being invited, but I'd rather come to the party late than not be able to celebrate at all).  OTOH, if this is going to be truly the "Open iClone Project" (as one of those possible names) then anyone should be allowed in and we can all share and benefit, right?

Please elaborate.  This may drive me insane not knowing (and folks who know me will say "short trip").

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
3d guy1
3d guy1
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Not sure how Octane can fit in this?

Looks like all 22 of Octane Plugins are sold exclusively at Otoy.   The only exception I know,  which would be UNITY.
I think you get UNITY OCTANE at the Unity store.  But of course its free.
rollasoc
rollasoc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Everything Kelleytoons said. 

Plus, would now be a good time to start my Udemy beginners Python course Smile

Home built PC:- i9 9900K 32GB RAM, Zotac 1080TI mini.
Band Music:-  https://thehairthieves.bandcamp.com/
Solo Instrumentals:- https://sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com/

gordryd
gordryd
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
@Tony (RL) - the survey doesn't seem to be working correctly.  As requested, I selected 2 items for the first question and 3 items for the 2nd question.  When google sent me a copy of my inputs, it showed ALL selected for both questions.  Seems like the survey would be pretty useless.

BTW, the name I came up with is...wait for it...PYCLONE!

Reallusion Certified Director / Reallusion Best Visual Award / Reallusion Certified Content Developer
See all the G-Tools Plug-Ins available for iClone here: G-Tools Plug-Ins

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I might have an opinion on the NAME, but for the SLOGAN, I think I would need time to explore the capabilities and limitations of the system first.

The answer to those questions would greatly affect the slogan:
What if I have some programming skills, but am not a recognized iClone "developer?"
Can I create my own little Python-enabled feature and share it with a friend?  Or do I need to go through a store?

Ignoring the Name and Slogan, I'd still like the answer to those basic question
s.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 minute ago
gordryd (11/30/2018)
BTW, the name I came up with is...wait for it...PYCLONE!

So did I... You shouldn't really reveal this before the contest is over.

BTW: the form worked correctly for me.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by animagic

Reading This Topic