Bake texture with Iray?

Posted By The-any-Key 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
The-any-Key
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Is it possible to bake a texture using the Iray plugin with the Iray materials?

And is it possible to use the "stand alone render" for that?

iClone 7, 3DXchange 7 Pipeline, CC3 Pipeline, CT8 Pipeline, Iray, Live Face, iPhone Xr, Win 10, i9 9900K ~5GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB, 16GB Ram, M.2 SSD
Edited
6 Years Ago by The-any-Key
The-any-Key
The-any-Key
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Bumping this and adding some additional info.
What I am after is used in game development. Blender call this cycles baking or render baking:

You basically render the scene with lights and materials... and Blender create a texture for the model. This texture can then be used as texture in the game. This allow you to make it look good in the game while you save a ton on material rendering.
Maybe this is more for iClone?

iClone 7, 3DXchange 7 Pipeline, CC3 Pipeline, CT8 Pipeline, Iray, Live Face, iPhone Xr, Win 10, i9 9900K ~5GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB, 16GB Ram, M.2 SSD
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 33 minutes ago
This is indeed something that is important in games. This is how I understand it.

For a still image it wouldn't really buy you much. It is used in games to save resources and speed things up. So anything that is static can be baked. In an interior with fixed lighting you can bake the shadows cast by the furniture for example.

You could use it in iClone, but you would want any shadows cast by animated items (characters, moving props) to be dynamic.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

The-any-Key
The-any-Key
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

animagic (11/21/2018)
This is indeed something that is important in games. This is how I understand it.

For a still image it wouldn't really buy you much. It is used in games to save resources and speed things up. So anything that is static can be baked. In an interior with fixed lighting you can bake the shadows cast by the furniture for example.

You could use it in iClone, but you would want any shadows cast by animated items (characters, moving props) to be dynamic.

The question remain: Is it possible to render to texture in Character Creator or iClone.

I have been looking into other 3D software that do this. Beside Blender it is possible in:
3ds-max:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-37414F9F-5E33-4B1C-A77F-547D0B6F511A-htm.html
Cinema 4d:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvZiDsODf8k
Maya:
https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAYA/Texture+Baking

animagic
This post has been flagged as an answer
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 33 minutes ago
The answer is simple: you can not, currently.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

The-any-Key
The-any-Key
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

animagic (11/22/2018)
The answer is simple: you can not, currently.

Thanks.
Hopefully in the future :-)

But for now, a outside 3D software for texture baking is not that problematic.

Reading This Topic