Remeshing to reduce Poly count?

Posted By sonic7 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Greetings ....
So let's say you've been busy creating models and props in Sketchup - only to find that the file sizes are becoming too large.
And this is happening despite the best efforts at decimating.
Case in point - a bunch of electrical 'cables' - that are 171,000 polys due to all the bending and turning required. (and 2 sets of these = 342,000 - ouch!)
So I'd heard about this 'remeshing' approach (never attempted it before), so was wondering if anyone could suggest the best way to do that ?
Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Many thanks .... Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 50 minutes ago
See, if it were me I wouldn't worry about it.  iClone can handle huge vert counts just fine (I routinely use models of several million).  Texture maps are a whole different matter.

But it depends on what else you are going to have with it, of course -- after 2 or 3 million you *might* run into some issues (although, again, I've never seen even the slightest issue at millions -- I suppose I should push it some time to see just how many my machine would handle).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Hi Mike .... On a powerful system like yours there's probably no problems. When I 'hide' these meshes in iClone - the 'response' is improved. ie: Total scene = 1.1 million polys with cables VS  760 thousand without. Certainly I can (and do) 'hide' sections when not needed and that works fine. But the main reasons for wanting to reduce these meshes is because of the bottleneck in 3DXChange. I was wanting to load in the entire set and use the features in Xchange to do 'grouping' of parts suitable for iClone. But Xchange won't accept 1.1M poly's on my system Sad
The other reason is that there's a whole lot more to be added yet, so this current 1.1 really needs to be reduced around half of that, and these particular meshes are where I could get a reduction.
But yeah - if I was running what you're running system wise, I wouldn't bother ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Some times I used this free App to reduce polygons number. There's some youtube tutorial .

http://www.meshlab.net/

Hope this helps
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
If you have CC3, you can actually import OBJ files as "accessories". An "accessory" can be a building as easily as a bracelet. That would give you a 64-bit option. You will need to find one of the Sketchup OBJ export plugins though.

Might help. Wink
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks mtakerkart ....  I'd looked into Meshlab yesterday (for trying decimating). I tinkered with the remeshing - but got crashes. Either that or error messages about 'non-manifold' etc. I guess I'll have to fix the mesh first - it was an 'early days' attempt .....

@Rampa ...... thanks - I might give that a whirl too ....... Smile

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0f17ac36-0458-4abf-92a7-0c59.png

'One' such cable of many .....

Meshlab is very particular about what is "acceptable" mesh - I clear one error then when attempting to run the re-meshing again I get a different error message ......
So I guess an even more fundamental question would be - Is there an easier way to get a low poly cable?
I'm confident that an 'equivalent' quality look can be achieved using just 1/4 of the polys - maybe less.

Edit: Well unfortunately CC3 won't work for 'large' accessories. (it just hangs). I tried reducing the demand by importing an obj of just 1/4 of the total cables - but it wouldn't - whereas 3DXChange would handle that 1/4 size without any problems.

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Kelleytoons
This post has been flagged as an answer
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 50 minutes ago
XChange shouldn't choke on millions of verts -- again, I do this all the time (and it's not a system issue -- XChange can and will have issues with textures, but I've never (yet) found an issue with polys).  So that's weird.

However, if you are just looking for an easy way to group things like this, there's no better tool than Blender.  And, for that matter, no better decimate tool, either.  It can load almost anything and do almost anything, and it's free.  Everyone who uses iClone ought to have at least a passing familiarity with Blender, and it really should be in everyone's toolkit.  

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yeah Mike, I've been trying to do a remesh in Blender 2.79, but without success - plain (simple) geometric shapes will remesh OK, but when attempting to remesh the 'cables' in question - they simply disappear from the viewer .... I'm still trying...

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Dang! Mike - you were right....
I tried stripping out all the textures and bam ... she came into XChange without a problem (quite quickly too) ....
So I guess I'll *HAVE TO* 'texture' inside of XChange or iClone rather than pre-XChange ...

duchess110
duchess110
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi sonic7
Another programme that can help reduce poly count is 3dCoat.
Below is a picture of a mesh I am working on and it is high poly.
As you can see I am in the retopo room creating a low res mesh where I will bake all details then send to the paint room for even more details.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/402d492b-819a-4b8b-b51c-9a0e.jpg

Duchess Designs Store 

Reading This Topic